Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoken to Virgin and they want to charge me £60 for a wireless router. I already have a wired service and modem, just need an additional wireless network so we can use our new iPad and phones on wifi. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
are you still in contract? If not tell them you're going to leave as other suppliers will give you a wireless modem free when you sign up, they may not want to lose your custom.
Talktalk wanted £30 for a new wireless modem when mine broke, fortunately I had a spare as unfortunately I had signed up to another 2 years about 2 months before :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Dont even bother with a Virgin router, they are shit, I have had nothing but trouble with mine and have ended up shelling out £60 for a decent one anyway! Just go out and get one now and save yourself the hassle...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
When buying, make sure you don't get an ASDL router - easy mistake to make - they don't work.

Netgear do one and it just plugs into your Virgin 'Black Box'. I have one that you can have, but it makes a high pitched noise that annoys the kids, we can't hear it tho'

·
Registered
27,050 Posts
Dont even bother with a Virgin router, they are shit, I have had nothing but trouble with mine and have ended up shelling out £60 for a decent one anyway! Just go out and get one now and save yourself the hassle...
Ditto,only been with virgin since september and i have to keep resetting the bloody router as the signal keeps dropping out:(

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My father in law got a new wireless laptop. He has same setup as you so I got him to ring up and say sky were offering him free wireless router if he switched to their broadband. They sent him the wireless router that just plugs into the existing wired one for nothing he just paid something like £4.99 postage.

Give cancellations a try.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Ditto,only been with virgin since september and i have to keep resetting the bloody router as the signal keeps dropping out:(
Thats what I keep getting, frustrating as hell, I have had a new Virgin router and it was the same so now I have got a decent aftermarket one.

From my experience in the field (use to work for TalkTalk) the routers are the cheapest pieces of shit they can possibly get, cost cutting an all that...

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers all......local IT bod suggested either a d-link dir 615 or a one of the delkin range.

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Cheers all......local IT bod suggested either a d-link dir 615 or a one of the delkin range.
avoid belkin stuff, it's (in my experience) piss poor.
the DIR-615 is alright though.
but if you can stretch to it, the DIR-645 is the bees knees.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
avoid belkin stuff, it's (in my experience) piss poor.
the DIR-615 is alright though.
but if you can stretch to it, the DIR-645 is the bees knees.
I have always found Belkin stuff good, alot better than some stuff, mind you its all gone a bit cheap now days, unless you go for the pro gear...

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
I have not had any issues with my Virgin stuff.

I think that I am in a minority though!!! :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had a Belkin one for years connected to the Virgin modem but it kept kicking my lad off the ps3 after a while so we got one of Virgin's own wireless routers and it's been fine since. Must be lucky I guess :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts