Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks.

I'm sorry to have to announce that the Organisers of the British National Surf Comp have taken the decision to cancel the event, due to all the forecasts showing zero surf for the weekend.

As a result, we've had to take the decision to cancel the Surf Bug event as well. Naturally this isnt an easy decision to make, but we feel that without the surf comp we cant really offer visitors value for money, as all the surrounding events and entertainment have been cancelled as well. I will begin issuing refunds to everyone who has paid in advance this afternoon, however please let anyone you know who was planning on coming the news as I'd hate to see people turn up and not be able to camp. This is the firstyear I can remember where there will be no surf in October for any given length of time but it does happen unfortunately.

As a result, we've had to take the decision to cancel the Surf Bug event as well. Naturally this isnít an easy decision to make, but we feel that without the surf comp we cant really offer visitors value for money, as all the surrounding events and entertainment have been cancelled as well.

The comp will take place at a later date, however we will probably not re-arrange the camping as it will be bloody freezing. Next year we hope to have separate entertainment and so on anyway so in the highly unlikely event that this happens again, we will definitely be able to offer something to our visitors - little consilation I know but its the best I can do at the moment.

I'll post the official press release up here as soon as it comes to me. I'll also mail a mod to ask if we can sticky this for a while for obvious reasons.

The official website will also be updated in the next hour to reflect the announcement.

I hope you understand, to say I am gutted is an understatement, we've put so much effort and time into this and the only reward we were ever looking for was a good show.

Regards
Julian

·
Registered
600 Posts
gutted as well :( , Julian you must be well gutted especially after all the hard graft you've put in,lets make the next one a belter :hangloose

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Official Press Release

Official Press Release Below:

OíNEILL BRITISH NATIONAL SURFING CHAMPIONSHIPS TO BE POSTPONED

OíNeill offer their sincere apologies that the British National Surfing Championships, due to be held on 7th and 8th October at Tynemouth, North East England, has been postponed until further notice due to an expected lack of waves.

The event will instead take place in November at the first available opportunity after the World Surfing Championships, due to take place at the end of October.

OíNeill will give the press and public as much notice of the rescheduled date as possible.

Keeley Holmes, OíNeill PR and Marketing Manager said, ìItís disappointing that we have had to postpone the OíNeill British National Surfing Championships but it is a situation completely out of our control. We hope the public will continue to support this very popular event when it does eventually go ahead.î

The ëSurf Bugí, a VW festival scheduled to take place in Tynemouth at the same time has also been postponed. This event will take place on the same date as the re scheduled OíNeill British National Surfing Championships.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not so sure about the last bit in the press release either, it may be that we still organise a display of some sort, however I doubt the cmaping is going to be very appealing in November. I'll leave the decision on that until later however.
Julian

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
GUTTED !!! :( :(

But i don't understand NO WAVES ??? i v just look on the met office website for the swell on saturday (midday) and there low presure over the north sea heading to the north east ?? this indercates waves to the east??? :confused: :confused:

Token said:
Gutted :(
Just been getting in touch with other bugnutz. They're gutted too.
Dude you and tim fancy going to aber soch instead ?? weather abit shit but hey it'll be a laugh !!! :D

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Hang on a min theres storms forecast for this weekend someone somewhere has got things very wrong indeed!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nic B-C said:
Hang on a min theres storms forecast for this weekend someone somewhere has got things very wrong indeed!!
You need a lot more than a storm, trust me nobody has taken this decision lightly, all of the major competitors know how to read the surf report and everyone agreed it looked terrible. You couldnt possibly imagine how much time, effort and expense that has been wasted in the light of this decision, so I'd hope you can understand it hasnt been taken on a whim...

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
lambretta said:
You need a lot more than a storm, trust me nobody has taken this decision lightly, all of the major competitors know how to read the surf report and everyone agreed it looked terrible. You couldnt possibly imagine how much time, effort and expense that has been wasted in the light of this decision, so I'd hope you can understand it hasnt been taken on a whim...
Oh i can mate its just quite a few surfers i know were getting excited over the weather report and are still conming over anyway

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nic B-C said:
Oh i can mate its just quite a few surfers i know were getting excited over the weather report and are still conming over anyway
They'll be disapointed, there wont be any surf this weekend at Tynemouth, or at least not any worth getting wet for.

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
lambretta said:
They'll be disapointed, there wont be any surf this weekend at Tynemouth, or at least not any worth getting wet for.
couple of them are kite surfers anyway.

bet you are well gutted mate will have to catch up with you real soon youve not even been down the workshop yet!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Fell pretty bad for you guys, I am gutted it's not going ahead but I can only imagine how it has affected the organisers.

We'll be there next year ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts