Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A warning to make regular checks for fuel leaks - and keep your fire Extinguisher up to date!

I did and this still happened :(

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not 100% certain, my other half was driving, but it happened quick and no electrical smells. Had a service a few weeks before and the Garage fitted the fuel filter so wondered if that was faulty and burst - difficult to tell now

·
Registered
875 Posts
i feel your pain dude, my notch went like the day i got it!!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Looks to me as if the fuel filter that was fitted is no longer there, and was fitted between the fuel pump and the carb.

They shouldn't be fitted here as they usually aren't designed to work under pressure, and the extra hanging weight can cause the brass tube out of the carb

·
Registered
820 Posts
Fuel filter could have 'arked' across the main coil lead if they went close and there was any kind of condensation in the fuel filter.

Fuel filter should be located over the gearbox between the petrol tank and the fuel line entering the engine bay. Volkswagen put it there and not in the engine bay for a reason.

Big shame though, and hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>looks to me as if the fuel filter that was fitted is no longer there, and was fitted >between the fuel pump and the carb.

Its still there - its the orange thing (the orange is its innards) its dropped lower as the small piece of fuel line attaching it to the carb has completely burned off. All the clips are still at the ends of all the pipes though, and still tight!

>They shouldn't be fitted here as they usually aren't designed to work under pressure, >and the extra hanging weight can cause the brass tube out of the carb

Know all about that brass tube - thats still in the carb - Steel welded it in ages ago as a precaution (actually the filter is far too light to pull it out) altough it may have bust or leaked?

>Fuel filter should be located over the gearbox between the petrol tank and the fuel >line entering the engine bay. Volkswagen put it there and not in the engine bay for a >reason.

Dont think Beetles ever had a factory filter - only left one on mine because a garage fitted one and thought it would do no harm :crazy:

Anyways Luke from terrys came to look at it and awaiting on the insurances comments now - thanks for the kind words :hangloose

1 - 7 of 7 Posts