Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need somewhere to keep a load of parts at the bottom of the garden. Shipping container is out as too long and ££.
Don't want to use a shed as too easy to break into - something metal or concrete.

Seen a few adds for free concrete garages, so was thinking maybe one of these which I could modify to the right size, but not knowing anyone who has one - are they easy to take apart or a pin in the proverbial. Do the panels bolt together or is there an internal frame?

Any other thoughts on something suitable?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
21,385 Posts
The contrete garage I got rid of last year basically bolted together in panels that were really heavy but simple. Cast a concrete base. Walls bolt together. Modern ones will prolly have an integrated roof I imagine, ours was just wood and asbestos :rolleyes:

I personally have a tesco wagon back end. Mini roller door and 3 small opening doors. Like a mini garage. I paid 500 quid 2nd hand which was a lot but wooden huts were nearly as much!

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally have a tesco wagon back end. Mini roller door and 3 small opening doors. Like a mini garage. I paid 500 quid 2nd hand which was a lot but wooden huts were nearly as much!
Any pics of this Al? that sounds good

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
I too have been wondering about this. We've got space for a nice summerhouse at the top of our garden, which would give nice (ish) views :)

A concrete single garage, split in two, would give a nice summerhouse and a shed/workshop area for bike storage.

I've always assumed they're pretty easy to dismantle and take apart, but would welcome any knowledge. A simple wood roof and some insulation would finish it off :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
My garage is half made of concrete panels, 60*90cm stacked 2 high, and they simply bolt together. That's 2 walls and 3 corners, the rest is timber frame bolted to butt up to it.

I've been on the lookout for more 60*90 panels for years but haven't ever seen any.

You say 'simple timber roof'... I'm not sure how much weight my 2-high stacked panels can take. A shed is probably fine, but my garage is 3.5m wide. Technically it needs 50*200mm joists at 400mm centres under an 18mm deck which sounds quite heavy.
Currently it is hilariously under supported - a pent roof of 50*100mm rafters at 1200mm centres.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
I've put a few concrete garages together, all of them second hand and they've all been really simple to do. If you can make a box out of Meccano, you will be able to build a garage. The only difference is the panels are really heavy! You need (at least) two people to assemble the second and third rows.

Most are interlocking concrete panels (imagine T&G wood, without it sliding in).

A mushroom bolt goes through one panel, then metal plate. The metal plate sits across both panels and pulls the other one tight.

From experience, assemble the complete lower panels first, AND MAKE SURE IT'S SQUARE! build up from there.

*Jiggling a fully built side a couple of mm is difficult.:D

The only other issue I can think of, is if you try and build one out of sections of different garages. Different manufacturers, have slightly different interlocking systems.

I'll post a photo of a bolt/bracket later.

·
Registered
21,385 Posts
Best I can offer from my phone.
Unfortunately things have got out of hand and it's a bit full of kids bikes, toys and generally useless shite, and surrounded by scrap for art projects atm so can't get any better pics either, sorry :lol:
Planning to paint doors black but not got round to that either.

foto hosting

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
In a similar vein to the Tesco van back, BT used to sell off the backs of their vans separately. Decent size, workbench along one side, already got lighting in place. Never used to be mad money, either.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I had a 2 berth caravan the last 5 years. Worked well for ChevyC10 parts.
It cost me £50

I also gutted one that I got FREE and use it with a few mods, including extractor fan and fire proof curtains, extinguisher for welding in mid winter.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
I've put a few concrete garages together, all of them second hand and they've all been really simple to do. If you can make a box out of Meccano, you will be able to build a garage. The only difference is the panels are really heavy! You need (at least) two people to assemble the second and third rows.

Most are interlocking concrete panels (imagine T&G wood, without it sliding in).

A mushroom bolt goes through one panel, then metal plate. The metal plate sits across both panels and pulls the other one tight.

From experience, assemble the complete lower panels first, AND MAKE SURE IT'S SQUARE! build up from there.

*Jiggling a fully built side a couple of mm is difficult.:D

The only other issue I can think of, is if you try and build one out of sections of different garages. Different manufacturers, have slightly different interlocking systems.

I'll post a photo of a bolt/bracket later.
Here's a couple of photos of the type of fixing involved, including a corner fixing.

The hi-fi system isn't for sale.:D

On one, we ran a bead of Dum Dum inside the concrete joins, just to help against draughts. I would imagine any old sealant would do, but we had a tub of Dum Dum to hand.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts