Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I broke down in my van on the way to BB this weekend :( , they engine lost power and cut out, when I got out the exhurst was glowing red hot and the header pipes. I have just put soem twin carbs on...is this due to the fact the fuel is too lean..as someone said to me.
I expect the heads are now cracked, have not had the nerve to try and start it up yet.
Any help would be good.
Cheers
Ady

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doing the test in the morning..fingers crossed. If the test is ok am I right in saying the engine is still ok. I tested it last week and it was 123 on every cylinder.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
No guarantee on the engine...

Helpful though that you have an earlier test result to compare.

Heads could still be damaged/cracked even if compression
appears normal. Just one of life's gambles, I suppose.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
Mine overheated big style outside the nurnbergring this summer, I let it cool, started it up and it ran fine for another 2000 miles on the trip. Ive still not got around to checking the compression, im not expecting it to be brilliant but the old boy just seems to keep going. If thats any encouragement for you??

Ive been told Im aloud to the garage and play with him as soon as ive done my chores (decorating the living room!)

Ado

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a seize a few years back. If there is any crap that has been scraped off it can block the oilways. Mine ran after the seizure and I fitted new pistons and barrels. Shortly after the mains went, as the crankoilways were blocked. Had to rebuild the engine. I swear by oil cooling (external) as it runs so much cooler now. Other mates have no problems and monitor oil temp with a dipstick sensor, and there doesnt seem to any major difference between our engines but mine runs hot! (1600 Twinport standard carb) .(Timing etc all correct!! as is mixture and all other obvious points, inc no thermostat baffles). Obviously others do too as the line of burned out vans on motorways on the way to shows indicates.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the replies, I will check it out in the morning. I know I can still turn the engine, so it is not siezed. So there is hope still.
Cheers
ady

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speedy Jim said:
No guarantee on the engine...

Helpful though that you have an earlier test result to compare.

Heads could still be damaged/cracked even if compression
appears normal. Just one of life's gambles, I suppose.
Just done the com test and they are still showing 123 on each head...which is good yeah.
Started it up and just ticked it over and it was fine, sounded good.
Whats the best way to see if it is ok now...or is that just time. :hangloose

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Speedy Jim said:
You've done about all you can without tearing it down.

Might consider adding cyl head temp monitors at each cyl.
So are you saying I have been lucky and got away with it?
Were do I get these temp senses from..I have not heard of them?
Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Recommend changing the oil, (it has been cooked), and get the carb mixture / balance and Ignition timing set properly, and you may be able to uncross your fingers. Good luck. :hangloose

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
Recommend changing the oil, (it has been cooked), and get the carb mixture / balance and Ignition timing set properly, and you may be able to uncross your fingers. Good luck. :hangloose
Thanks, I will change the oil tomorrow. My plans are to take it to a rolling road and get it done...at least I will know it has been done propper then. :hangloose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts