Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,638 Posts
I have numerous manuals, mostly Haynes but also genuine manufacturers manuals in hard copy and CD. The new Haynes ones piss me off as they constantly refer you to the franchised dealer particularly for gearbox and final drive sections. The Haynes manual for my Merc is f**king useless except for bodywork trim and interior. The official manual tells you everything and it isn't beyond a capable enthusiasts ability. (if the grease monkeys in the Merc garage can do it so can I and maybe better!!)

evilC

PS the Haynes 1303 manual is a bit thin both physically and in content

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i agree on the 1303 one, i have a 1303 one, late 1200 model ( quite happy with this) my mk3 golf one is okay, VW resto one is interesting and the keeping your volkswagen alive on is good.

my point is though the majority of questions on here can be answered by an appropriate manual :)

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I have an Autobooks one for my bug - seems better than the Haynes for the work I have done so far :cool:

And yes, I do occasionally ask daft questions it might answer but thats probably because I failed to find it/failed to understand that I had found it/just wanted to check ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've got 3 manuals for the bay but they still don't explain everything
I agree - I've got Haynes, Autobook and Bentley for my late bay. The Haynes is generally poor but it does occasionally put a useful perspective on something not in the other two - but - having read up a job, following a thread or asking on VZi makes the job so much easier.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I agree - I've got Haynes, Autobook and Bentley for my late bay. The Haynes is generally poor but it does occasionally put a useful perspective on something not in the other two - but - having read up a job, following a thread or asking on VZi makes the job so much easier.
I don't rate that Autobook not enough info on stuff :(

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Haynes Beetle wiring diagram is a joke though.

I like the John Muir book most out of the ones I've seen/have. :)
yes and the wiring info in general is pretty poor.

It would be good if we could get a mech tech archive with different wiring diagrams but cand remember where i find the decent one i have

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
with the heynes ones I find the instructions can be useless, because they are based on a stripdown and rebuild, also they can be quite technical in places, the muir book is also a helpful one, never really needed much else

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
I've a Haynes, it's kind of daft not too, although it can be a pain in the ass at times.

my point is though the majority of questions on here can be answered by an appropriate manual :)
The flip side to that coin is that if everyone had manuals and checked them first, no one would be asking questions, and there'd not be half as much info to search through on here.. Not that I'm suggesting that not having a manual is a good thing, but I'm glad people asked these questions so I can search for the obvious info as well as the more advanced stuff:)

That said, some people do take the piss a bit:lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.