Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Highly Respected Member
13,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anbody have any good links or info to sites where I might be able to learn some panelbeating basics ?

Also, any tips on getting things level with bodyfiller ? When I've done it in the past it seems to take me about 30 attempts just to get a single panel to a decent standard ready for paint. The professionals seem to get it right in a fraction of the time.

Is it just practice, or are there some tricks of the trade that I'm missing ?

Dave.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,918 Posts
tricks of the trade old son ;) ,practice makes perfect.eee --when i were an apprentice we had to break the ice on the bucket before we started rubbing down.kids today etc etc :incheek:

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
stupid as this might sound, start out looking in your local library for some books, secondly if you like adding books to your shelf like i do, have a look on amazon, there are some useful ones out there it seems, all look quite interesting :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
invest in a decent selection of sanding blocks of various sizes......they'll make a world of difference......search for PNR panel supplies online...they have some really good stuff......such as the durabloc range.....i dont know how i ever managed without them now.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
I've had great filler-sanding results using a random orbit sander.. I'd spent ages sanding and re-filling my car untill that came along. I've got better at it too.. The last door I did was only 3 or so individual layers of filler and it was 100% perfect smooth!! My 1/4 panels must have had 10 times as many layers before I got the sander. I just couldn't get it smooth by hand, there was always a little wobble somewhere that needed another layer of filler to sort out. With the random orbit tho, you just get it close-ish, then a good load of long sweeping passes in as many directions as possible and it's smooth as you like:hangloose

Obviously it's at it's best on large panels, awkward bits still need doing by hand.. However at only £25 it's well worth it, even if you've only a couple large panels to sort out:hangloose

RE: panel beating, I've no idea, I just tap it lightly with a hammer untill it's less shite than it was:D

·
Registered
861 Posts
jick said:
invest in a decent selection of sanding blocks of various sizes......they'll make a world of difference......search for PNR panel supplies online...they have some really good stuff......such as the durabloc range.....i dont know how i ever managed without them now.
PNR panels have some really ood stuff
http://www.flexiblesanders.co.uk/

I use their flexible sanders....the 15" one is fantastic for getting a panel straight. The Klingspor paper is really good and lasts at least 4 times longer ,wet or dry, than normal paper with 1/3 the effort

·
Highly Respected Member
13,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys -

That should keep me busy for a while....

And I'll be ordering some of those sanding blocks come payday.

Cheers - Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts