Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The van needs some welding / panels fitting.
I know that most people MIG weld them on but are there any other ways?
I've seen some cheap ARC welders on ebay that should do the trick.
Just looking at other possibilities as MIG welder prices are stupid with second hand units costing about 75% of the price of new ones. And as im mostly going to be welding outside it would have to be a Gas-less mig anyway, which isn't much different from arc.
Is Oxy-acetylene a possibility?

Any help / advice?

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
It is possible with ARC and Gas but you would need to be highly skilled with either, Mig is by far the easiest form of welding for the amatuer welder, and gasless is crap, you can use a gas Mig outside as easily as using one inside, not a problem.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can weld with both gas and Arc, but have neber used a mig!
Dont think its going to be any harder its just the initial cost of buying a MIg thats putting me off. I know that gas-less isn't as good but like i said the prices are stupid where as arc is dirt cheap

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I started welding with an arc, even did some work with body panel thickness stuff. I wouldn't recommend it tho, butt welding is a nightmare, since I've bought a mig its sooo much easier and cleaner. if you've never tried, perhaps find a someone local to you to let you have a go (metal fab shop, college, dub welder! e.t.c) chances are you'll not go back.

Have done a bit of work with gas, with some skill, very neat welds can be achieved, but its a bit fiddly if you are doing a lot.

If you are worried about the cost, why not buy a second hand unit and sell it on after you've finished with it? you said yourself they hold their value.

also, check out http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

·
Registered
778 Posts
mig is the best, like they say look for a decent second hand one, forget the flux cored wire its shit and every thing has to be super clean. use 0.8 or 1.0mm wire and get a pub cylinder(co2) costs you £15 to get it refilled just shield wot you are doing or turn the gas up abit if it's windy. Oxy acetylene ok but you can end up with alot of heat distortion plus the fact you now have to be registered with the supplier (boc or who ever) to get cylinders from scratch or refilled, and the monthly cylinder rental will cost you more in the long run than a decent mig welder. half hours practice you'll be welding like a pro:)

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
TIG is what I use on the body work, alot harder than mig. but you get MUCH neater welds and you don't have to grind them down, takes bit more practice. but I suppose MIG is probably best for most peoples needs. (I borrowed the machine from a mate)

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you can gas (oxy-acetylene) weld, then brazing is a very good way to go. It uses a lot less heat to melt the metals, is plenty strong enough and relatively easy. On the gas front, it's best use is for repair patches as the heat reduction means the panel is less likely to distort during welding.

Can't advise on anything else as I've neve tried MIG/TIG and the only arc work I've done has been uber-industrial stuff and I wouldn't want to arc panel work.

Looks like MIG is best on the value front. I've just had my oxy-acetylene cylinders re-filled, set me back just over £180!! It'll do all the panel work I could ever imagine on the bus, but it's a bloody big outlay.

·
Registered
464 Posts
^^ So make sure that:
a) You don't do any structural brazing (why would you, it takes bloody ages!)
and
b) Neat and tidy work and a good finish should mean the "man" doesn't spot it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.