Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here fitted one.
I am thinking of putting one in me split but have noticed at shows some vans with rag tops in that seem to SAG.
Any advice most greatful,
cheers, gingertiger.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
hello have put one in a beetle before and although i hate being nasty i personally really wouldnt recomend it...but cant say what they are like in splittys.

·
Registered
34,377 Posts
I fitted one to a bus...pain in the arse if you do it properly....driving with it open was deafening and like a cyclone in the back.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
fitted one to my bay . its been on about 3 years now , only sagging is on the inside , every second alli bar wasnt stiched just glued and has lost its stickyness doent sag alot but its there, on the outside it has never sagged , treat it every six months to armoral ,
done 80mph with it open and it was fine just the bedding going around the back of the van in the cyclone

even with snow on it

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
I've got one but I didn't fit it myself.

One of the rivets at the front sheered off a few months after I bought it (now fixed, thanks wayner :D ). It does seem to sag a bit at the front, but I think thats because its a vary tight fit and I haven't managed to do up all the poppers at the front.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I fitted one to my beetle 2 years ago, to be honest it was real easy to fit and i am quite a novice, just measure loads b4 u cut and make sure the top is quite tight when you do it. I actually thought i had done it too tight but it looked fine

Mine never sagged and the bleeding cat used to sleep on it at night!!

the bug also won 2 awards this year (bug jam & the sussex show)so cant look that bad!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice people.
Still cant make me mind up though.
The roof is pretty stright and it feels a shame to cut a big hole in it but i must admit the buses i have seen with rag tops open on a hot summers day look the dogs danglies.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
johnmad said:
The windows have vanished too!
Was it a panel originally or have you coverted it?
it was originaly a panel and was converted to a camper before i got her, i got sick of the windows leaking and welded them up to make it back to a panel van

1 - 11 of 11 Posts