Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
16,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doesn't sound like tyre rub, so wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Sorry, I appreciate on-line diagnostics is hard, just wondered if anyone had experienced something like this before and could offer any pointers?

Muchos thank-U’s in advance! :D

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Even though a dodgy CV joint would be my 1st suspicion do be aware that the Passat has basically the same multi-link front suspension as the Audi A4 which is infamous for knocking/creaking suspension arms when worn.
If you're not that familiar with the Passat/A4 suspension I'd be inclined to get a friendly garage/tyre place get it on their ramp to have a quick look at all the arms/links to see if there's any obvious wear...
If it is the CV joint they aren't that expensive, about £40-50 for a quality new one from the likes of GSF, but if you do have to get the joint out then there is a big pinch-bolt on the suspension upright that needs to be undone which nearly always seizes/rusts solid.
Its a crap design flaw IMHO and the bolt is a bitch to get undone without shearing it off unless you have the likes of oxyacetlylene heat at hand........
If the bolt comes out then joint removal is a doddle , if it doesn't then the jobs a total 'mare :(, I've been through it all when doing a CV boot change on my A4.

;)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Even though a dodgy CV joint would be my 1st suspicion do be aware that the Passat has basically the same multi-link front suspension as the Audi A4 which is infamous for knocking/creaking suspension arms when worn.
If you're not that familiar with the Passat/A4 suspension I'd be inclined to get a friendly garage/tyre place get it on their ramp to have a quick look at all the arms/links to see if there's any obvious wear...
If it is the CV joint they aren't that expensive, about £40-50 for a quality new one from the likes of GSF, but if you do have to get the joint out then there is a big pinch-bolt on the suspension upright that needs to be undone which nearly always seizes/rusts solid.
Its a crap design flaw IMHO and the bolt is a bitch to get undone without shearing it off unless you have the likes of oxyacetlylene heat at hand........
If the bolt comes out then joint removal is a doddle , if it doesn't then the jobs a total 'mare :(, I've been through it all when doing a CV boot change on my A4.

;)
Does this apply to all passats or just the newer ones? I had to change the CV joint on my old passat (1997 model I think) and I can't remember the set up you describe (although it was years ago now!).

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Does this apply to all passats or just the newer ones? I had to change the CV joint on my old passat (1997 model I think) and I can't remember the set up you describe (although it was years ago now!).
actually this is also a 96/97 one too, sorry, should have said - does this make any difference?
Sorry, should have said that I was presuming Passion 4's Passat was one of the new-shape type that came out approx P/R reg , if its the older design then it doesn't have the same front suspension.......;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts