Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spiny uses it.. I think...

Anyone else out there using PC-BSD?

I've got an old 866Mhz PIII with 128 meg of ram in it, it WAS running Windows ME.. but to be honest, I'd rather chew my feet off than run that.

I was gonna bosh Ubuntu on let my parents use it for general Internet/Messegner and Email duty, my old man has a habbit of breaking Windows machines.. they won't pay out for a mac, but it's too damn slow with only 128 meg in there.

One of my mates suggesting SuSE Linux, but as we've said before on such threads, Linux is just too difficult at the moment (even with Synaptic etc) for them to use...

Installers with "Next Next etc" are far easier for them, so the PBi's of BSD appeal.

I also want to see how long it'll take em to get used to it... it's a kinda experiment.. will they be able to use any GUI interface they're given, or is Windows really that much "easier" to use?

So... PC-BSD.. is it worth trying it?, will it run on relatively naff hardware?

·
snide twat
39,982 Posts
Spiny uses it.. I think...

Anyone else out there using PC-BSD?

I've got an old 866Mhz PIII with 128 meg of ram in it, it WAS running Windows ME.. but to be honest, I'd rather chew my feet off than run that.

I was gonna bosh Ubuntu on let my parents use it for general Internet/Messegner and Email duty, my old man has a habbit of breaking Windows machines.. they won't pay out for a mac, but it's too damn slow with only 128 meg in there.

One of my mates suggesting SuSE Linux, but as we've said before on such threads, Linux is just too difficult at the moment (even with Synaptic etc) for them to use...

Installers with "Next Next etc" are far easier for them, so the PBi's of BSD appeal.

I also want to see how long it'll take em to get used to it... it's a kinda experiment.. will they be able to use any GUI interface they're given, or is Windows really that much "easier" to use?

So... PC-BSD.. is it worth trying it?, will it run on relatively naff hardware?
any current build of linux will need more than 128meg/ram to make it usuable / nice to use.

PCBSD works well with 256, but the more the merrier really :)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Spiny.

I'll have to keep scouting ebay for PC-100 Dimms then :lol:

I've ended up installing puppy linux on the machine, it's very light and should work perfectly for their needs :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts