Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D need some advice...i have something like 30,000 songs on my old pc that i would like to transfer to my new pc to put on my ipod and so i can format the old pc as it is rather slow....

old pc doesnt have a dvd writer and takes FOREVER to burn a cd...

i have a double ended usb lead and both pc's have ports

and are in the same room is there anyway i can network them so i can transfer the files???

i have tried just plug in and see if they detect each other but no joy.

anyone?? :D

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
if it was me, I'd take the hard drive out of the old one, pop it in the new one as a second hard drive and just copy from there to the first

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yep, thats what I would do too, or if they have a network port on both of them just plug in a network cable and hey presto!

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
dpetteng said:
Yep, thats what I would do too, or if they have a network port on both of them just plug in a network cable and hey presto!
won't work - need a crossover cable, not an ordinary network cable ?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ermmm new one is a HP media centre not sure aboutt he rest and old one is tsunami? is the networking the ethernet? i would use the old pc and put the music on the ipod from there but there is something up with the ports?? :rolleyes:

Arghh technology :(

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
my guess is that it will be far quicker for you to put the second hard drive in (inlcuding learning time) than to mess about trying to get 2 PCs to talk to each other

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Easiest thing to do if you havn't got a cross over cable is put old hard drive in the new computer but if you're not confident to do that i'd say get down your nearest PC world (or nearest PC shop) and ask them for a crossover cable. Check the old computer has a network card in first. Look at the back of it and see if it has a port that looks like a telephone point but bigger. Like this:

Shouldn't be more then a few quid.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers yeah not really all that confident on taking the hard drive out n all that... yeah i have one of them on new pc it says underit "Ethernet" ill check old one for it to illl try that first then if no luck ill see if one of my computor mates will do the hard drive thingy....

cheers fellas :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts