Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate wants me to help him with his pc as I know more than him about them ( I can type my name :) ).

for the last few weeks his cd/dvd drive will only read dvd's and cd's but anything with software on it will not read ie installation discs.

He has no internet at the moment as he cancelled it last week and now cannot get back on as the install disc will not read (checked it on mine runs fine).
any ideas Ta

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spiny said:
sounds like it's "broken", sorry. buy a new dvd writer - they are about 18 quid - www.svp.co.uk
Now thats what I thought but Pc world ahem "experts" snigger seem to think its spyware and are sorting it out for him at the weekend.
They want to wipe his operating system and reinstall it :eek: .

So I have to back it up onto a flash drive for him.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Mashed said:
Now thats what I thought but Pc world ahem "experts" snigger seem to think its spyware and are sorting it out for him at the weekend.
They want to wipe his operating system and reinstall it :eek: .

So I have to back it up onto a flash drive for him.
PC twats. Thats crap.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
Could you copy the contents of the ISP CD on a flash drive and install it from there. Then change the DVD drive and tell PC World to blow it out of their arse.

G

·
Mashed said:
for the last few weeks his cd/dvd drive will only read dvd's and cd's but anything with software on it will not read ie installation discs.
When you say it won't read the software installation disks, do you mean it gives an error saying they're inaccessible? I presume you've looked at the CD ROM through "My Computer" or the command prompt? If it's a case that the disk's autorun feature isn't working then you can turn that back on easily enough.

There's a very small chance that spyware is at fault if the drive can't actually read data disks. Try this thread first before going to PC World, it's no more than they would do prior to wiping the machine clean. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=363970

In the past I have installed some virtual CD software which has stopped the CD/DVD from working properly so it could be that but I would agree with Spiny and guess it's the actual drive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dig VW Chicks said:
When you say it won't read the software installation disks, do you mean it gives an error saying they're inaccessible? I presume you've looked at the CD ROM through "My Computer" or the command prompt? If it's a case that the disk's autorun feature isn't working then you can turn that back on easily enough.
Yup been through that.
Tried 6 different discs
2 software discs one was bt broadband other cannot remember
3 dvds
1 music cd

music was fine, 2 of the dvds were fine one didn't play (was a copied film )
both software discs did nothing when put in the drive, so I checked the drive in my comp and when clicked it said "no disc in drive" so i took one of the discs back to mine just in case and it worked fine.

I dig VW Chicks said:
There's a very small chance that spyware is at fault if the drive can't actually read data disks. Try this thread first before going to PC World, it's no more than they would do prior to wiping the machine clean. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=363970

In the past I have installed some virtual CD software which has stopped the CD/DVD from working properly so it could be that but I would agree with Spiny and guess it's the actual drive.

Good luck.
I have downloaded some new definitions for his ad aware and may do the same for his protection too will install them first and give it a quick clean up.
Ta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts