Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... for 4 Star. Yep, proper leaded 4 star that poisons bunnies. It was at a local BWOC petrol station. I went there because it is normally a couple of pence cheaper per litre and I was driving past anyway. They have just started doing 4 Star for vintage vehicles and I bought some. I gotta say that the bus goes a bit better on it.

·
12,127 Posts
when I was a lad we paid truppence hapeney ;)

I think we as a nation should make a stand somehow. I like the idea BB posted the other week about boycotting esso or whoever to try to force prices down if poss

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mmm. I'm sure it was 40-something (or maybe 50 at a push) when I started driving in 1989. If I'd have known what was going to happen, I'd have driven a lot more, just for the sake of it.

·
52,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it ok to run my bug on 4 star where I can get it and unleaded where I cant?
Just use unleaded, I just got some leaded for the novelty factor. But I am impressed with the performance on the higher octane fuel. I am wondering if using super unleaded all the time would I get better performance and MPG?

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
Just use unleaded, I just got some leaded for the novelty factor. But I am impressed with the performance on the higher octane fuel. I am wondering if using super unleaded all the time would I get better performance and MPG?
As slimboy fat says, the octane rating won't make much difference unless your timing is advanced to make benefit of it. Modern cars normally have "knock sensors" - the idea being the timing will be advanced until knock occurs. Higher octane = more knock resistance therefore super unleaded is beneficial in most modern cars. I found my old Bay (1600cc) liked Shell Optimax but I think it was more to do with the additives/cleaning agents cleaning out the carbs. Was cheaper than using say Redex or STP.

However, whilst on a trip to Germany I noticed my old Bay actually ran better than ever on 91 RON (lowest octane we have here is 95 RON) and fully loaded with two people and lots of camping gear it averaged 33 miles per gallon!
The aircooled flat 4 was originally designed to run on low octane 2 star which also happened to be 91 RON.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
when I was a lad we paid truppence hapeney ;)

I think we as a nation should make a stand somehow. I like the idea BB posted the other week about boycotting esso or whoever to try to force prices down if poss
Let me know just before the boycotting happens so I can fill up:D

Its way beyond a fucking joke now,, something just HAS TO BE DONE,, Im already looking at horse n carts:crazy:

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
I find it hilarious how the Aussies whinge about the fuel prices. $1.36-1.46* or thereabouts. Depends on what day of the week it is. No, really! :lol:
Petrol is cheaper on a Tuesday and Wednesday and then goes up the rest of the week....as the Government don't set the fuel prices, rather the petrol companies! So derrr, everyone goes to the garage on the same day!

*translates to about 58p-65p a litre by the way and they still complain!

·
Registered
192 Posts
PETROL can only go one way and that is up the price of oil fell last week to 91 a baral when it was over 100 at christmas but yet the saveings have not been past on WHY :mad:

·
52,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PETROL can only go one way and that is up the price of oil fell last week to 91 a baral when it was over 100 at christmas but yet the saveings have not been past on WHY :mad:
It takes some time for the price in the barrel of oil to filter down the pump price. Some of the busier stations around here have fallen a penny in price.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts