Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of taking my petrol tank out ('67 split panel) to replace the sender and empty the crud out of the tank whilst I'm at it. Thinking I might as well clean up and paint around the back of the tank whilst in there.

Any special paint requirements or recommends from the forum? Thinking about the panels around the tank and also the tank itself.

I've seen a 'fuel tank to body seal' on Status: http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Camper-Van-Parts/Bus-Parts-1955-67/New-Parts/?templateID=vwh

but I don't know what this is or if I should bother getting one - any news on that would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone soundproofed around this area?

Any other general banter about this job would also be gratefully recieved.. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Have a look at por-15 fuel tank restoration products on the "frost" website, not cheap but makes an excellent job if you find any interior rusting to the fuel tank.
Used it on our bay, top stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can vouch for Por-15, easy to use and brush on, nice result. Heed the warnings about vs skin though and have some thinners to hand for runs, cleaning your wrists etc!
When you do the tank, remove sender and if you've got a piece chain or something, slip it in with some old fuel and shake it about gently to remove stubborn stains!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts