Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got one that actually prints out something that resembles a proper photo?? mine is shite... i want one that prints a "Real" glossy type photo like the good ol days im pissed off with loosing digital stuff.. i know boots do it but thats too much like hard work..

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Ive got a ip1000 (canon).. found out tonight (when printing simple image as wedding invite) is SHIT!!!!!!

Alphagraphics in notts will reel off 150 invites (A5 size) in a day, digital printer, cut to size... under £30, not worth the hassle of printers IMHO

Just stick your pick on CD, take it to asda or a local graphics place and they wil print it million times better than you (or I) ever could for probably less than it would cost you (or I) to even try!!!!

worth every penny in my books :)

·
Holy Calamity
67,032 Posts
what is one of those... will it fit on a desktop?
Unlikely. And he got the gender of his German wrong - it's actually "Das" not "Die".

Oh, and it's "Boot" not "Sub". They're quite large those things, and I doubt that you can plug them into your USB port, let alone get software for them :crazy: :lol:

:lol:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've tried several inkjet printers, and found that while the ink (comparing original to aftermarket cheaper cartridges) doesn't make any real difference, the paper can.
What I didn't like about inkjets was the way the inks would just dry up if you didn't use the printer for a while, thus needing yet another new set of cartridges.
I worked out the cost per print once, and it was over a quid a print. So I gave up, bought myself a laser printer for general day to day printing of letters, etc, and now have Snapfish (via Jessops or Truprint) print them via online, or burnt to disk and taken to either Jessops or Tesco. You get the prints on good photo paper, just as you used to with film/neg prints. They're better, supposed to last longer, and less prone to damage and running inks. And cheaper too. Just had about 140 6x4 prints made from over Xmas, via Jessops and a half price print offer, and they were deliverd to my door for just over a tenner.

I still keep a small decent inkjet printer, and pair of new cartridges, on standby, just in case I really need a print/s right now, with maximum control over the printing. But that's been sat gathering dust for over a year now.

Do a price per print comparison, weigh that up against the modest compromise in control/quality of the final print, and you may end up drawing the same conclusion I did - just have proper prints made by someone else. Less time, less hassle, and cheaper.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
really......
yes, IMHO

what is one of those... will it fit on a desktop?
a Die sublimation(sp?) printer basically lays each primary colour individually onto the paper to produce the image and then a protective coating is usually applied. you can get quite reasonable ones that will fit on your desktop. usually only produce 6x4 prints.

it depends what you want really. a die sub printer will give better quality but an ink jet will give you more options.

I have a cannon pixma that will print from passport size up to A4 and also onto cd discs. you would have to be up quite close to tell the difference between the 2 formats. as has already been said a good quality paper makes all the difference. well worth figuring out the price per print for different models. although it can work out more expensive to DIY I like having the control that you wont get if you send your images away to get printed.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
What if i wan to choose the paper i want.....
For me its C type or a decent inkjet:)
I never said a dye sub was better, its just an option and it produces 'real' photos. I am more than happy with my inkjet printer and the difference in quality these days is negligable. I also said an inkjet gives you more options and control over what and how you print

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Folks have an Epson Stylus that I use,works well, got myself a Cannon Pixma at Christmas,but Ive yet to use it.
If Im in a rush I go to local Sainsburys, they have a photo lab in store,just load memory card in machine & 1hr later get your photos.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that the dye sub process is closer to the traditional methods of photo printing and it also applies a final protective coating, rather than how an inkjet produces an image. I haven't a clue of the finer technical details this is just my understanding from when I looked into by a photo printer myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dye-sub will give you a harder wearing photo that is dry and hot when it comes out, like a photocopy, but the running cost can be very high for larger sizes.

i have an A3 canon inkjet, very happy with the prints but it does come down to the paper often.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.