Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an image I want to give as a gift to my brother in law.

Its a picture of him and his newborn daughter I took the other day. Here is the original:

It wasn't mean't to be so arty but I think its ideal for a nice B&W so I had a play with Photoshop and came up with this:

Can anyone suggest/comment on improving it?

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
bobdobalina said:
I have an image I want to give as a gift to my brother in law.

Its a picture of him and his newborn daughter I took the other day. Here is the original:

It wasn't mean't to be so arty but I think its ideal for a nice B&W so I had a play with Photoshop and came up with this:

Can anyone suggest/comment on improving it?
its very good.......do you mind if i have a go?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at all. I'm only a self taught 'shop meddler so my skills are limited.

Basically I cropped it, blurred the background for some picture depth and then use the channel mixer to mono it.

2 main areas I feel I screwed up on are lack of sharpness of Brother in Law and loss of texture to babys clothing (white out)

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hello,
when you get the picture you want, if you want me to print it, email it to me.
I'll do you a freebie as long as you tell people where it came from ;).
Canvas or satin mounted with a black edge large format poster sizes!

[email protected]

(website coming soon)

shameless pimping! :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pray tell what you did BUDGET BUS.

Jenks. If thats a serious offer I would much appreciate it. Happy to spread the word.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
funky munky said:
I have an edit ready if you'd like me to post it.. Just give the word, yes or no .. I won't post it without your say-so :)
Go for it. Seen your stuff before so I am interested to see it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like the way you cropped it one sided. Great composition.

Any tips on how you did it?

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
bobdobalina said:
Like the way you cropped it one sided. Great composition.

Any tips on how you did it?
Look at the image, and see if there's any 'information' that annoys you, or things you don't need. The background was totally pointless (flash glare, and the picture frame was too 'in focus', therefore battleing it out with the foreground. backgrounds can be used to great effect, but in this case, it didn't lend itself well)

Always look to see if everything is balanced.. The subjects aren't balanced in the whole image, yet the balance is still there in part (hence the crop), and I used the actual body to pinpoint natural framing references. The focal points are your B-I-Law and daughter, and in this image, that's where the attention should lie, giving no need for a backdrop. The watch had to go; it was mechanical, and slightly drew the eye downwards; just used some cloning and blending tools.. sorted..

Using layers, blurs, tints, dodge and burn tools, anf finally added the strong yet simple black frame just to lift the core image off the canvas, metaphorically speaking...

Glad you asked? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts