Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you might be interested??

I'd be very interested to see if anyone knows any further history of it....apart from what I've discovered so far (See ebay link)

Plonked it on the bay, although will be quite happy to keep it, if it doesn't sell.

mod edit: no links to stuff your selling in chat thanks :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to advertise it. Thought it would be an interesting item to post up and see if anyone knows anymore about it.

I didn't know there were fakes about, as I've never seen one before. I showed it to a collector of world war memorabilia and he said he thought it was genuine, although he hadn't seen another.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
It certainly looks different to the fakes I've seen. The proportions of the car are different.

Also the metal looks aged (although artificial aging can be done)

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
post it on the samba, in the accessories section.

You'll soon find out what makes it fake or not. Good find though.

Sparky

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
From what i can tell (online translaters) it says "laying of the foundation stone of the Volkswagen work May 1938"

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I also have one of these :D

Ive no idea if mine is fake or not, but to be honest i just bought it cos i like it :D

Cant remember if the wording is exactly the same i will dig it out and have a look :)

·
Registered
18,968 Posts
It's a fake ;)

I have several of these, currently. My genuine one cost me 2 quid (well technically it was 20 quid but i got it in a box with 9 other items so pro-rata it was 2 quid :D )

Would i sell mine?...................would i chuff :crazy:

There's a ton of fakes around these days, just look on ebay or the samba :rolleyes:

I would date this as quite an early fake, but fake nonetheless, sorry

Prob 'worth' your asking/starting price on ebay but realistically not more ;)

Does that help?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
empi pervert said:
It's a fake ;)

I have several of these, currently. My genuine one cost me 2 quid (well technically it was 20 quid but i got it in a box with 9 other items so pro-rata it was 2 quid :D )

Would i sell mine?...................would i chuff :crazy:

There's a ton of fakes around these days, just look on ebay or the samba :rolleyes:

I would date this as quite an early fake, but fake nonetheless, sorry

Prob 'worth' your asking/starting price on ebay but realistically not more ;)

Does that help?
Well, I did question it myself, although it does appear to be very early??

A few people have said there's a few of these around, although everyone so far has said mine not been the same as theirs.

Don't doubt you.....but how do you know this one is fake??

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
Balti Pie said:
Don't doubt you.....but how do you know this one is fake??
Playing devil's advocate... How does your expert know it is real if he's never seen one?

There is someone who may know - Arnie Levic in Street, Somerset.

He was born at Wolfsburg and his dad worked on the original KDFs before being rescued by the allieds. Possible that they may have something along these lines in the family archives.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
M-A-D said:
Playing devil's advocate... How does your expert know it is real if he's never seen one?
You'd have to ask him I'm afraid. He was certain it was original......although he might not be that much of an expert??

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
empi pervert said:
Real ones don't have a pin fastening, and aren't pressed like that ;)
Oh well.......shame it's not real, Thought I had a proper little find on my hands. Thanks for the info empi.

·
Registered
18,968 Posts
Balti Pie said:
Oh well.......shame it's not real, Thought I had a proper little find on my hands. Thanks for the info empi.
Hey don't get me wrong dude it is 'quite' nice, there's a load of real rubbish ones around at the moment, made in India and Taiwan etc

Like i say prob 'worth' the 30 quid start price on the auction..................but you have to find a buyer willing to pay it ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
empi pervert said:
Hey don't get me wrong dude it is 'quite' nice, there's a load of real rubbish ones around at the moment, made in India and Taiwan etc

Like i say prob 'worth' the 30 quid start price on the auction..................but you have to find a buyer willing to pay it ;)
Hopefully, someone can find a home for it as it is an interesting little item.

Did you say you've got a real one?? Be inteested to see a picture if you have one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts