Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been let down by my plasterer so i have decided to have a go myself!!!!! I have put on the base coat and need to apply the finishing coat. Should i pva between these coats ?? and how long should i leave the wall to dry between first coat and the pva coat (if needed) and the finishing coat?????? Help me settle my domestic!!!!!!! cheers :D

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
the baron said:
I have just been let down by my plasterer so i have decided to have a go myself!!!!! I have put on the base coat and need to apply the finishing coat. Should i pva between these coats ?? and how long should i leave the wall to dry between first coat and the pva coat (if needed) and the finishing coat?????? Help me settle my domestic!!!!!!! cheers :D
When I did it I put some pva on just in case, wasn't sure if it needed it or not (but now I don't think you do) I left the PVA to dry until it was tacky. My walls still look great so I think it was the right thing to do :)

but I'm sure someone will correct me shortly....

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm no expert (as anyone who has seen our walls will testify!)

But if your only going to apply a thin finish coat then I would definitely apply pva first. If you don't then the base layer will pull all the moisture out & you'll end up with a cracked flaking surface.

This shouldn't be so bad if your putting on a thicker top coat, but even if this is the case - stick some pva in the corners / inner 90 degree walls to avoid it 'snotting' up (for want of a better description!)

Good luck :)

Oh, and for god sake, keep your equipment spotlessly clean, I got some grit floating about when I did the top coat & it caused all sorts of nightmares (think drag marks everytime you move the float! :mad: )

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,616 Posts
What base have you used?You should really get the finnish plaster on before the undercoat goes off..or as said it will drag all the moisture out and make it impossible to plaster...i wouldnt bother pva ing all you need to do is give the base a good soaking and i mean a good soaking all you will have trouble.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
subdub said:
What base have you used?You should really get the finnish plaster on before the undercoat goes off..or as said it will drag all the moisture out and make it impossible to plaster...i wouldnt bother pva ing all you need to do is give the base a good soaking and i mean a good soaking all you will have trouble.
ok my base coat is sort of dry(ooopppps) so iam gonna have to pva it i think .i have multi finnish plaster and i have a bag of finishing plaster

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
subdub said:
You only need the multi finnish...that is a top coat plaster...wouldnt wait my time with finnishing plaster. :eek:
ok cool i have put base coat on and then pva it then i was gonna put finish coat on. its abit rough but with abit of a sand it should flat off nicely

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,324 Posts
What have you put the first coat on to??? Plasterboard??

Now you will have to pva if the first coat has gone off!

Generally keeping it very basic you should:

spread the first coat to the entire wall

Leave to stiffen a little - not much it should still be soft and spreadable just not as loose as straight off the trowel

Apply a second coat to the entire wall

Leave to stiffen a bit more this time so that its still workable but firm

Clean all tools and then lay it down/float it up to get it flat overall - sometimes a small amount of water on a brush will help

Leave it to go firm and trowel/polish it again but with water this time

Harder to describe than I thought???

Really top marks for having a go, but unless you have experience or someone on hand with experience its a frightening place to be - it can go wrong oh so easily!!! Even when you know what your doing sometimes!!!

Oh and its fucking hard work on the shoulders as well!!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
76 said:
What have you put the first coat on to??? Plasterboard??

Now you will have to pva if the first coat has gone off!

Generally keeping it very basic you should:

spread the first coat to the entire wall

Leave to stiffen a little - not much it should still be soft and spreadable just not as loose as straight off the trowel

Apply a second coat to the entire wall

Leave to stiffen a bit more this time so that its still workable but firm

Clean all tools and then lay it down/float it up to get it flat overall - sometimes a small amount of water on a brush will help

Leave it to go firm and trowel/polish it again but with water this time

Harder to describe than I thought???

Really top marks for having a go, but unless you have experience or someone on hand with experience its a frightening place to be - it can go wrong oh so easily!!! Even when you know what your doing sometimes!!!

Oh and its fucking hard work on the shoulders as well!!
defo works your shoulders i will try and post a pic in a min :D

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
top makes that man top job well done :hangloose

·
Registered
226 Posts
tha basecoat as you call it (or bonding,browning or even hardwall)should be left really for at least half a day to go off,then pva even if slightly still damp and then skim with multi finish or board finish either doesn't matter (but you get more "fat" off multi that is the thin plaster like mixture that comes off as plaster is hardening which is good for filling any imperfections you may have)yhen just keep polishing(troweling up)until nice and smooth and flat

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,324 Posts
Winnie, do you think it 'fats' up the same as it used to??

The fat just used to seem meatier a few years ago, it doesn't seem to have the same filling properties now!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts