Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,766 Posts
I learned on an old fashioned acoustic and at first I had problems reaching E and A as well!! I couldn't even make an 'F' shape at first, it just takes time! :D
Do you find the tips of your fingers are hurting like mad as well? After a couple of weeks they'll get hard skin on them and you'll be ok.
If you can get your hands on a gee-tar with a thinner neck it might be a bit easier to reach the upper strings!!
:hug:

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orby1 said:
I learned on an old fashioned acoustic and at first I had problems reaching E and A as well!! I couldn't even make an 'F' shape at first, it just takes time! :D
Do you find the tips of your fingers are hurting like mad as well? After a couple of weeks they'll get hard skin on them and you'll be ok.
If you can get your hands on a gee-tar with a thinner neck it might be a bit easier to reach the upper strings!!
:hug:
yeah, (OOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW typing oooooooooo) tips of my left had finger hurt bad :(

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,766 Posts
My 1st guitar was ace - my mate had broken into a school nearby with some bad lads he knew and nicked all the guitars. I made a throwaway comment one day about wanting to learn, and he offered me a swaps - a guitar for my football!
I said ok, not having seen the guitar, expecting some sort of cool heavy metal strat or something, thinking I'd pick it up and instantly be Eddie Van Halen, and he gave me this massive wooden acoustic thing that 10yr olds had been learning on for about 20 years! :lol: I'd have been ok in a flood, I could've sailed away in the bloody thing!
Still what do you expect, it only cost me a football! :lol:

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,616 Posts
You probably have not quite got the left hand thumb position right,just move your thumb so that you are playing with it central on the neck,you dont really want to se the thumb poking over the top at all,it may seem uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it your chord changes etc will become quicker and more fluent. :D

·
Banned
4,638 Posts
Missbugbabe said:
yeah, (OOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW typing oooooooooo) tips of my left had finger hurt bad :(
You will eventually get hard skin on the end of your fingers, ive been playing since i was 13. It gone abit now but you could stick needles in the end of my fingers.

Oh, you might have a classical guitar. Does it have nylon strings? if so go out and get a steel string acoustic, the necks are thinner.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
Use lighter strings. I learned on my dad's huge jumbo western acoustic. He used Heavy guage strings, as he gigged all the time and claimed they stayed in tune better. It KILLED my fingers.

You can now buy 'Extra light' strings. Makes a huge difference. Most shops will string them for you too(for a small charge), if you take your axe along. As you build up tolerance, you can go for increasingly heavier strings. I still use heavy guage on my acoustic, cause I like the deep bass sound. Mediums on my electric for bendability.

Shane

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
As said, lighter strings will help but your finger tips will harden up. Bit of advise, don't play after soaking your hands in water, ie after a bath, shower etc as it'll hurt more ;)

I use Ernie Ball 9's as they're nice and light, whenever I play a guitar with a set of 10's on my fingers hurt. That's after playing for 25 years......jeeeeeeez did I say that? :eek:

OP

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
I agree with OP. But, lighter strings will make it easier on your way to building up fingertips. You'll be able to play for longer.

S

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No idea what the strings are... ooo hang on i have a micometer thingy.....

ok, the thickest is 1.1mm thick.

It's an electric, my bro bought it for my birthday :)

·
Banned
4,638 Posts
Missbugbabe said:

Practice, practice, practice. The skin on your fingers will harden up.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Missbugbabe said:

1.1mm is a "43" gauge so that's quite light already. What about the thinnest?

Another problem could be the setup.. if the nut is cut too high then the strings will be harder to push down.

Having said all that, it's always hard at the beginning and will get easier if you keep at it :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
as others have said...
just keep playing - your finger tips will harden over time, and they'll also be more agile in a month or two once the muscles are used to being forced to go into positions they're not used to. :)

the thinner the strings, the more tone you'll lose. I use 10's on my current guitar, and used to use 11's before i had to sell my strat. :(
(SRV used 12 or 13's!!)

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
im used to playing with 13s, work the best for me i think. however i do have one guitar set up on 8`s mainly because it was designed to be playedwith 8`s and im sorry you dont loose any tone, in fact i get more tone out of it than i can any other
also another word of advice, never ever buy ernie ball strings there shit and so many people agree with me, that they take about a week to break them in, then they play good for a week or so, then there fucked and you gotta re string them, and there just to hard on the fingers. get yourself a set of diadario strings, i swear by them, ive got a set on one guitar that i havnt played in 2 years and it stayed in tune, and they still feel like fresh strings. ernie ball are wank
also if you have a strat type guitar it will be hard to do chords because they have the what i think imho those beefy horrible oversized necks. when you start to get properly into guitar look at buying a good sort of 400-700 quid ibanez guitar, they are superb to play, and i swear by them, apart from the satriani series, there just god damn awful things to play
also have a look for tabs on this site here
www.ultimate-guitar.com
and also search for power tab superb piece kit for the pc, and easy to read tabs and you can play along with it

·
Registered
19,535 Posts
i played for 10 years and was addicted to it, had a guitar in my hand all the time, have not picked 1 up in almost 3 years now :( wish i had never stoped

keep at it hun, i know this hard and it hurts but its worth it :)

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Orby1 said:
It always gets easier after your first "F" :lol:

Still not found what strings I like yet, tried a range of stuff. Had nanoweb elixers on the acoustic for a while which I liked, but then put a set on the ESP and they were utter shite. Running 13s on my electric at the moment, think I'll stick with that gauge but look for a different brand.
Can't remember what I've got on the acoustic but its a stupidly heavy gauge must be something thicker than 13s? :eek:

·
Registered
599 Posts
pitslayer666 said:
im used to playing with 13s, work the best for me i think. however i do have one guitar set up on 8`s mainly because it was designed to be playedwith 8`s and im sorry you dont loose any tone, in fact i get more tone out of it than i can any other
not looking for an argument pitslayer... but for me, a guitar strung with 9's will sound weaker (to me) than if it's re-strung with 11's.

a guitar set up with 8's could have the best tone for you. not arguing... but for me and my guitars, i find a richer wider sound with the thicker strings. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts