Volkszone Forum banner

Plumber zone - what is this fitting?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  kev... 
#1 ·
I'm trying to fit a Grohe shower and the water inlets are a plumbing fitting I don't recognise.

They're designed with an offset to facilitate misaligned pipes which is great and all that, but the inlet as pictured appears to be compression style, however the hole is too small for 15mm copper pipe to neatly slide in as per a normal compression fitting. The thread is regular 1/2 inch bsp as per typical compression fittings, washing machine hoses etc.

I've never come across this fitting before and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interface this with 15mm copper pipe.

Any clues?

See less See more
#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks all - the fly in the ointment was the provision of those mis-alignment S-adapters and the omission of a fitting kit.

I ended up needing/getting this, which has the required male threaded ends to seal against the fibre washers in the mixer bar, doing away with the aligners.

Now I can play the game of 'can I remove the tiles and leave enough plaster in place to not have to re-plaster' game..... (doing the full bathroom).

Automotive exterior Auto part Wheel Metal Rim

#12 ·
LT, I'm a bit late to the party with this but maybe you've not got too far.

Scrap those offset ones they're rubbish, they always end up misalligned or leaking due to tweaking to get them to sit right.

Go with something like this: - Swirl Bar Valve Wall Mount Fixing Kit Chrome

Which is basically this from behind - Fast Fix Kit Bracket for Bar Shower Valves - EFK001 at Victorian Plumbing UK

Assuming you've enough pipe at the front these will compress straight on to pipe, fasten to wall, spin on covers then your shower.

Hope it helps.

#13 ·
LT, I'm a bit late to the party with this but maybe you've not got too far.

Scrap those offset ones they're rubbish, they always end up misalligned or leaking due to tweaking to get them to sit right.

Go with something like this: - Swirl Bar Valve Wall Mount Fixing Kit Chrome

Which is basically this from behind - Fast Fix Kit Bracket for Bar Shower Valves - EFK001 at Victorian Plumbing UK

Assuming you've enough pipe at the front these will compress straight on to pipe, fasten to wall, spin on covers then your shower.

Hope it helps.
Thanks, I ended up going for the one I posted previous to your post as I wanted something really sold to anchor the mixer bar to, as it's against a hollow stud wall and will have mosaics behind it so not much to hold it firm when a child decides to use it as a chin-up bar getting out the bath. Whilst I had the wall open, I mounted a large wooden batten to the surrounding but inconveniently placed stud work which it screws firmly into, then locked in cantilever by the plasterboard and tiles (when I get round to that bit).

I've got it pretty much ready to test for leaks now, but will carry on doing the rest of the bathroom. What started out as a 'we need another shower', turned into a full strip out job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.