Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is changing points on my 75 bay. Any special tools needed. Or should i get a proper mechanic to do it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
dead simple.
ping the 2 clips off the distributor cap, then use a flat blade screwdriver to take out the retaining screw down inside the distributor.
one wire to disconnect off it and you are done.
new ones in, and then set the gap making sure the rotor is on one of the 4 lobes.
tighten up the little screw and slip the distributor cap back on.
:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
or if youve got a 009 dizzy you could get an electronic ignition kit like perktronic (spelling?) - theyre as easy to fit as new points and you only have to do it once! more reliable and better starting too!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
curlybill said:
or if youve got a 009 dizzy you could get an electronic ignition kit like perktronic (spelling?) - theyre as easy to fit as new points and you only have to do it once! more reliable and better starting too!
pertronics ? !
yes i have that in my 009. its great.
points always used to close up on my beetle over time ...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont maen to sound thick but when you say rotor on four lobes, not sure what you mean i guess ill see when i do it. and how do i now if its a 009.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
danybros said:
I dont maen to sound thick but when you say rotor on four lobes, not sure what you mean i guess ill see when i do it. and how do i now if its a 009.
thats okay mate, remember "theres no such thing as a silly question, there are only silly answers"

rotor is the round shaft in the centre of the distributor. It has 4 lumps on it (lobes). As the shaft rotates the points follow and open each time they go over a lobe. 4 lobes, 4 openings, 4 sparks, 4 cylinders ;)
so rock the engine a little with the car in gear, and get the points on top of a lobe and set the gap.
check they close when you rock the car and they come off a lobe ..

hope that helps :hangloose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts