Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pair of 6"x15" fuch wheels that are black i want to polish them so they are verry shiney does any one have any advise on how to do this

·
Registered
125 Posts
WHS^^^^^

Biaggio polished 4 deep 6 Fuchs for me a few months ago and they are just the sechs!!! :crazy:

Hey Martin - you Stonoring? I still fence sitting (weather!)

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I'm sure very good results can be done at home, and no doubt loads of people will now post replies about how they have done their own etc etc but having read the Volksworld article about each spoke taking a few hours :eek: to do, plus the cost of all the consumables to buy as well, decided it was just too much aggro and decided get mine done by a polishing shop.
Cost was £105 for all 4 wheels and centre caps, getting them to the polishing place and back cost about £40 in fuel (it was in Brum), but am glad I didn't do it myself...........

Wheels as bought.....

Back from polishers......

Trial-fitted........

;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
i've done a few bike frames engine parts etc etc in the past and as the above thread states it take a long time if you want a top job even using electric tools (bench grider for the mop and a elec drill for the hard to get to places)

took me 7 hours each wheel for a zx7r 3 spoke wheel and that was just the rim

basic's are remove paint (best with a paint stripper liquid)
then 600 grit w+d
then 800 grit w+d
then 1000 grit w+d
then 1500 grit w+d
then 2000 grit w+d
and then if you can get some 2500 grit w+d
then using a polishing mop use a brown coloured cutting bar to bring it up and then a blue colour cutting bar to really make it shine

once all is said and done i use alublue to keep it looking good

like i said it will take a long time but feels good once done tho

the cutting paste bars are avaible on e-bay and in some good tools shops! :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
7,988 Posts
THE

COMMON MIS-CONSEPTION IS,

when you remove the factory silver, you just 'assume' its paint

-its not its anno, so the 'FUCKING JIP' you experience is the anno removal

-simply remove it with a solution of caustic soda

-its only when you have 'raw' alloy, that they then ar a piece off to polish

-'FOR'

-you are going through the grades rubbing annodising off, which in my honest opinion is the most stoopidous thing a person can do

-cos i am stoopind and have done it!

-note top pic
-the factory silver is anno
-the flat black is celly

-you strill, - mind you, have to nitromors the black, as the causticsoda wont eat it

-there is lots to do with annodising
-you can - i reckon get a flam effect, with a bit of jiggery pokery

-cammoflauge fuch on a trekker, would be the tittolata's

·
Registered
835 Posts
I too have done a bike frame. It was my first ever attempt, and it came out looking the nuts. HOWEVER! I think the reason why it came out so well is because the overall surface was flat.

I would advise, with something like a wheel, to get it done by a professional metal polisher. The last thing you want to go and do is ruin your wheels. For the sake of whatever it'll cost, it'll work out more worth while getting them done professionally. Really.

All the best.

p.s when you do get 'em polished, polish them in directions (and stick to those directions). DO NOT leave them exposed to water over a period of time, coz they will deface/go mirky and horrible.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
7,988 Posts
yeah, and while i'm on......
-no one has ever tinted a laquer - gold/bronzey and baked it on

-they will go golden you know, which is nice

:incheek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the advice it looks like a lot of hard work so i think i will do it the easy way and pay someone else to do it cheerz again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts