Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me which mastercylinder from the 944 fits the beetle i:e what year and model do i need one off to upgrade my brakes

·
Registered
820 Posts
'done it on mine (M3 Brakes all round )

The 944 M/C is a 'split bore design 23 & 20 (19) mm's respectivly. You can plumb it up a number of ways ..... all dependant on how you want the car to brake, Baja's run them 'back to front' as they want more rear end bias. Me, I just went the normal way.

The front outlet runs the rear brakes, with a 'T' peice added just before the hardline for the brakelight switch.

The rear outlets run the fronts.

POINTS TO NOTE:

There are no mounting studs on the 944 M/C, you have to use two M8 nuts and bolts through the bulkhead to mount it. That said it does fit like 'factory'

You WILL need to 'trim' the pushrod, as it keeps the pedal way too far out, I took 5-7 mm off of mine (stock Bug one obviously) and that did the trick. Make sure that the cut end is VERY smooth and radiused as it can chew it's way through the M/C very quickly if not, (I didn't do it........ a friend did )

You will need the inlet connectors from a late model Bug M/C if you are going to do away with the Porsche 'fluid reservoir, (it's a pain to lift the tank etc just to top up the brake fluid!) you can get them new from VW! (don't ask me the part no though)

Take a look at the pic', you'll see that there isn't a great deal of room to connect up the front outlet, it can get fu*ckig tedious trying to manhandle the line into place there! I suggest that you hook up the lines BEFORE you bolt the M/C in place ......... it'll make life SOOOOO much easier

Don't be put off by the 'Porsche price'. If you look around you can get them really cheap!!

£2.50 from Flea-bay!!!
£45 from Douglas Valley Performance Car Breakers.
that sort of stuff.

Anyway 'hope that that helps dude, take it easy and.... happy braking!

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts