Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help, i need a link to a site that gives me all the specifications of a 67 beetle. Ive apparently got a 1973, but she has an awful lot of 67 bits on her and im just trying to unravel the puzzel, as to whether it was made a lot earlier and imported or its two beetles put together to make one decent one??? Help its driving me MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!! :)

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
probably just a case o a previous owner wanting to make the car look like a '67, no need to worry.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats the point of putting the old suspension on a 1973 beetle, the mot came up as a 1970???? its all very confusing

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
what do you mean by the old suspension- some '67s had king and linkpin, some had balljoint, depending on the model. some also had wide 5 wheels/brakes, some were 4 stud.what is the chassis number on the mot cert and v5 and does it match the one on the actual car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh all the docs matches, but i was told that the suspension on the rear or axle was from pre 67, i cannot for the life of me remeber what type or axle/suspension he told me it was called, but it makes it very difficult to lower the back end???? and because there have been questions of the mot as well i was just trying to do a bit of inspector morso, i was told that there was a place you could write off to and find out what date the car was actually made??? is that ture?

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
yeah, volkswagen can tell you the date it was built using the chassis number but i dont have the contact details, someone on here will have though. the rear suspension on a 73 would be the same as a 67 anyway unless it was a 1302, 1303 or semi-automatic bug, so theres no problem there.the rear suspension on your car is called swing axle, the other cars i mentioned had irs rear suspension.lowering the back is a simple straightorward job with either type o suspension.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Tillie said:
yeh all the docs matches, but i was told that the suspension on the rear or axle was from pre 67, i cannot for the life of me remeber what type or axle/suspension he told me it was called, but it makes it very difficult to lower the back end???? and because there have been questions of the mot as well i was just trying to do a bit of inspector morso, i was told that there was a place you could write off to and find out what date the car was actually made??? is that ture?
Hi Tillie have a look at this thread on the Samba. com.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's about aquiring a birth certificate for your car from Volkswagen in Germany. Apparently it takes a month or so to arrive. I'm definately going to get one when my other car is back on the road (1975 1303).
With regards to you getting an older date for your car from the MOT i've had exactly the same thing. My 1200 is a '74 model year. Based on chassis number it was built at the end of Nov/ beginning Dec 1973, but the MOT says it was first used in 1971!! Which cannot be unless someone possibly had another plate put on it sometime in the distant past or changed the rear wings. I know this is'nt the case. Still it still did'nt stop me from trying to get a tax exemption disc. Not my prob if the MOT computer system is shagging up! :coffeecup

On a separate note nice pic of you and your sis in the pic section, stunning : :incheek: I was'nt perving honest!! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts