Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the school i work at they're arranging a wedding for the kids, apparently they do it every year but this is my first year in the job so first time i've come across it. Basically they choose 2 kids (boy/girl) to get married and they provide food and other kids are bridesmaids, best men(boys) etc

Is it me or is this creepy? I just find that weird, does anyone elses kids schools do this?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Blue_Beetle said:
In the school i work at they're arranging a wedding for the kids, apparently they do it every year but this is my first year in the job so first time i've come across it. Basically they choose 2 kids (boy/girl) to get married and they provide food and other kids are bridesmaids, best men(boys) etc

Is it me or is this creepy? I just find that weird, does anyone elses kids schools do this?
IMO, it's fucking ridiculous. There are a number of reasons why I think this is totally out of order, but if I start, it'll end up as a total rant :crazy:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really know what they learn, it may just be a 'treat' for the kids at the end of term or something. It's going to be a rather strange day either way. I hate weddings.

When they were discussing it last week i couldn't help but laugh, none of the teachers seem to think it's weird :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Blue_Beetle said:
I don't really know what they learn, it may just be a 'treat' for the kids at the end of term or something. It's going to be a rather strange day either way. I hate weddings.

When they were discussing it last week i couldn't help but laugh, none of the teachers seem to think it's weird :rolleyes:
I think if it was my child i'd want to know exactly whats supposed to be achieved by this wedding.

Cant they just have a Halloween party or even an 'end of term' party as a treat?
And is getting married a treat?!

I don't get it at all!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing that gets me is a wedding is a religious ceremony, but this is in a public school. I'm surprised parents havn't complained before.

I take it no ones kids gets married at their schools then? :crazy:

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it's pretty harmless. Primary school kids often play mums & dads, famiilies and so on and so forth. Kids LOVE to do 'grown up' things and they aren't interested in the whys and wherefores and why should they be? And, more to the point, why should we be forcing them to see the serious side of something which to them is just fun and games?

Just seems like a good excuse for a party and such to me.

·
Registered
897 Posts
its in a public school. Nuff said. when theyre not doing that theyre running round slamming each others dicks in the doors.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
um this is not right imho. sure the kids can play at it in playtime/dressing up etc. but to make a day of it as an official part of lessons......................if my kids school decided to do this i wouldn't let my kids participate. i've never heard of it before.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well like i said, i don't know much about it but i'll report back after the big day.

Wonder if they have a stag/hen do the night before......

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
My ex was a teacher and her state school did this - I thought it was a little creepy, but she explained that its done for a load of innocent reasons.

They did it like a cross between a church and registry office do with a skip over the heavy religious bits cos the kids were only little. it was done in the summer term and ended up with a picnic to simulate an after wedding bunfight.

One reason was because you can explain to kids what is going to happen when they get dragged by Mummy and Daddy to a wedding and sit and fidget all the time cos they don't understand what's going on.

Another reason was to use it to teach a bit about different religions of the world - I think they did a load of differnent ceremonies on the day so that none of the kids got left out. Kids loved it and had a great time, learning as they went.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
hermand said:
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it's pretty harmless. Primary school kids often play mums & dads, famiilies and so on and so forth. Kids LOVE to do 'grown up' things and they aren't interested in the whys and wherefores and why should they be? And, more to the point, why should we be forcing them to see the serious side of something which to them is just fun and games?

Just seems like a good excuse for a party and such to me.
I guess that's why there's so many under age pregnancies these days :rolleyes: Personally I find it a little odd.

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
I'm a Head of Dept at a secondary and governor at a primary school. If anyone suggested this as a good idea I would suspend them immediately on mental health grounds. (well, maybe not). This appears nowhere on Key Stage one or two curriculum and I can't imagine what the point is.

The real argueable point is the validity of the institution of matrimony. What about the huge percentage of kids whose parents aren't married? They may either be in a partnership (just as valid as marriage) be single parents or be divorced.

This mock ceremony will alienate all those children of unmarried parents. This is hard enough for them to deal with on a day to day basis. I know it's dramatic but, I'm actually apalled. What happened to apple ducking and giving one another wedgies?

Shane

1 - 20 of 34 Posts