Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I would like to share this experience and some advise/opinion would be appreciated.
I am restoring a 67 KG and 81aVW in Southport is doing the job for me.
I bought 5 Flat 4 wheels from VW Heritate in March 2011 for the KG. Project was stopped and only restarted recently because 81aVW didn't have time. When the wheels were delivered, I looked at one of the box and put the rest unopened and safely stored in my work store room.
When I took the wheels out of the boxes 2/3 weeks ago, I discovered one of them has a bevel on the edge and some scratches on the wheel face. I have asked John from 81a and a few other people to look at it, they all agree itis casting defect. I contacted VW Heritage and cut long story short, after a lot of phone calls, emails and letters, they refused to replace it because I have not reported it earlier and offer me to buy another one slightly cheaper!
They asked me to speak to consumer direct which I did. Consumer direct told me that I am within my right to ask for a replacement as it was only bought 10 months ago. Time limit is 6 years and whether I reported it earlier is irrelevant for defective goods.
VW Heritage disagree, have a different version of advise and said the advice they have from trading standard is I am out of time and I have to pursue the case through trading standard.
I think most of us restoring car would buy parts in advance and not necessary looked through every part upon delivery.
I am naturally not very happy. I had a conversation with the manager today, and said that I have spent a lot of money with them in the past and would have spend more in the future without this episode. I was told that they would probably not appreciate my custom in the future!!That is nice!
Consumer direct have not asked our local trading standard to get involved and I am awaiting their call.
Any opinion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not tried, they probaby would not want to know, as I didn't buy from them, bought from Heritage.
Will try to find their contact details.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I don't get Heritages point here, when they say you need to pursue it through trading standards. They do realise that, taking it to the n'th degree means trading standards advise taking them to court.

Personally, I'd call up and explain that you're after the directors names and addresses to put on your court papers. I find that spurs companies to suddenly alter their crappy policies ;)

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Just to highlight, while Flat4 may or may not help you, they have absoluely nothing to do with this and it's completely down to Heritage. Any company that sends you to the manufacturer / their vendor is lying!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
11,309 Posts
Don't muck about... write to Heritage by recorded delivery asking them to resolve the matter to your satisfaction within 7 days or you will be forced to commence litigation. Offer to return the defective rim at their cost.

If they don't come good, issue a county court claim via Money Claim Online https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

From the response you've already had, it appears that they have no intention of doing right by you so I wouldn't waste any more time arguing with them. They can tell the District/Circuit Judge their side of the story & see how they get on then ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, luckly just one. I could used it as spare, but I paid full price for it! I don't even want a defective one as spare!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I bought I set of radars from ssp (same company) about 5 years ago for my old split, not flat 4 ones, think they supplied mws then?...anyway, one had a defect and was letting air out of the tyre....phoned them and reported the problem...replacement was here 2 days later and they didn't even take the faulty one back!.:)

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Yes, luckly just one. I could used it as spare, but I paid full price for it! I don't even want a defective one as spare!
I can't understand why they won't change it if it's only 1 wheel !? it's not worth the bad press IMO ! & the loss of your repeat business in the future ! If I treated my customers like this I would be sacked & rightly so ! "The customer is always right " ;)

·
11,309 Posts
I can't understand why they won't change it if it's only 1 wheel !? it's not worth the bad press IMO ! & the loss of your repeat business in the future ! If I treated my customers like this I would be sacked & rightly so ! "The customer is always right " ;)
What I can't believe is this...

I was told that they would probably not appreciate my custom in the future!!That is nice!
unbelievably short sighted :eek:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Shit situation to be in and as advised up there ^ write to Heritage via recorded delivery to resolve this within 7 days.

However, whilst Heritage do have blips occasionally, I am very surprised that they have told you what they have and the attitude of the manager. Seems counter productive for any company, especially Heritage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have the name of the MD and have now emailed Flat 4 in Japan.
I am sure their MD would like to know what was said by manager today!
I think I'll probably have to wait for trading standard to call and ultimately pursue through the courts.
I think Heritage is so big now, losing my business is nothing to them.
In 2009/2010 I was doing up a Karmann beetle cab, I ordered front and rear bumper from them and they didn't fit. They change them straight away and that was months after.
I am not sure why they are awkward this time and I have spend a lot with them over the years!

·
17,488 Posts
I think Heritage is so big now, losing my business is nothing to them.
No but a measure of any company/business isn't how good their day to day service is, it's how they resolve situations when things go wrong (which they can do.)

This is the kind of thing that would make me not want to deal with them whereas if they'd sorted it out properly and not been arsey, it would be a great advert for them.

They've possibly lost a lot more than your business through this already.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts