Volkszone Forum banner

problem with flat 4 wheels from VWHeritage

18K views 131 replies 56 participants last post by  DDC86 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I would like to share this experience and some advise/opinion would be appreciated.
I am restoring a 67 KG and 81aVW in Southport is doing the job for me.
I bought 5 Flat 4 wheels from VW Heritate in March 2011 for the KG. Project was stopped and only restarted recently because 81aVW didn't have time. When the wheels were delivered, I looked at one of the box and put the rest unopened and safely stored in my work store room.
When I took the wheels out of the boxes 2/3 weeks ago, I discovered one of them has a bevel on the edge and some scratches on the wheel face. I have asked John from 81a and a few other people to look at it, they all agree itis casting defect. I contacted VW Heritage and cut long story short, after a lot of phone calls, emails and letters, they refused to replace it because I have not reported it earlier and offer me to buy another one slightly cheaper!
They asked me to speak to consumer direct which I did. Consumer direct told me that I am within my right to ask for a replacement as it was only bought 10 months ago. Time limit is 6 years and whether I reported it earlier is irrelevant for defective goods.
VW Heritage disagree, have a different version of advise and said the advice they have from trading standard is I am out of time and I have to pursue the case through trading standard.
I think most of us restoring car would buy parts in advance and not necessary looked through every part upon delivery.
I am naturally not very happy. I had a conversation with the manager today, and said that I have spent a lot of money with them in the past and would have spend more in the future without this episode. I was told that they would probably not appreciate my custom in the future!!That is nice!
Consumer direct have not asked our local trading standard to get involved and I am awaiting their call.
Any opinion would be appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
I don't get Heritages point here, when they say you need to pursue it through trading standards. They do realise that, taking it to the n'th degree means trading standards advise taking them to court.

Personally, I'd call up and explain that you're after the directors names and addresses to put on your court papers. I find that spurs companies to suddenly alter their crappy policies ;)

#9 · (Edited)
Don't muck about... write to Heritage by recorded delivery asking them to resolve the matter to your satisfaction within 7 days or you will be forced to commence litigation. Offer to return the defective rim at their cost.

If they don't come good, issue a county court claim via Money Claim Online https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

From the response you've already had, it appears that they have no intention of doing right by you so I wouldn't waste any more time arguing with them. They can tell the District/Circuit Judge their side of the story & see how they get on then ;)

#14 · (Edited)
I can't understand why they won't change it if it's only 1 wheel !? it's not worth the bad press IMO ! & the loss of your repeat business in the future ! If I treated my customers like this I would be sacked & rightly so ! "The customer is always right " ;)

#13 ·
I bought I set of radars from ssp (same company) about 5 years ago for my old split, not flat 4 ones, think they supplied mws then?...anyway, one had a defect and was letting air out of the tyre....phoned them and reported the problem...replacement was here 2 days later and they didn't even take the faulty one back!.:)

#16 ·
Shit situation to be in and as advised up there ^ write to Heritage via recorded delivery to resolve this within 7 days.

However, whilst Heritage do have blips occasionally, I am very surprised that they have told you what they have and the attitude of the manager. Seems counter productive for any company, especially Heritage.

#17 ·
I do have the name of the MD and have now emailed Flat 4 in Japan.
I am sure their MD would like to know what was said by manager today!
I think I'll probably have to wait for trading standard to call and ultimately pursue through the courts.
I think Heritage is so big now, losing my business is nothing to them.
In 2009/2010 I was doing up a Karmann beetle cab, I ordered front and rear bumper from them and they didn't fit. They change them straight away and that was months after.
I am not sure why they are awkward this time and I have spend a lot with them over the years!

#19 ·
I think Heritage is so big now, losing my business is nothing to them.
No but a measure of any company/business isn't how good their day to day service is, it's how they resolve situations when things go wrong (which they can do.)

This is the kind of thing that would make me not want to deal with them whereas if they'd sorted it out properly and not been arsey, it would be a great advert for them.

They've possibly lost a lot more than your business through this already.

#21 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong people, but isn't this another case of 'buyer not checking goods until much later down the line'........It's so much harder to argue months later that there is a defect or shortfall (as per other thread(s) on here this week).

Heritage's viewpoint (as explained by o/p) isn't exactly going to win them any sympathy.....but we haven't heard their side yet!

Maybe they get so much of this going on they might just be taking a harder line as they seem to have satisfied plenty of people who have raised issues, in good time, so they can't be all bad eh?

Isn't it about time customers took some responsibility for the money they spend?? After all he did lash out hundreds of pounds and not even looked at what he had bought :rolleyes: Would anyone do that in any other scenario?

I'm sure I'll get kicked all around this thread for putting the other view point....but what the hell I think it has to be said.

#23 ·
I would have expected these (and other goods I've bought) to have been through some form of quality control procedure at the point of manufacture and also checked by the seller before sending them.

If someone is spending their hard earned money on something like wheels then it shouldn't be too much to expect that they're right.

I check most things when they arrive but not everything - that should be the sellers responsibility to ensure you get the correct thing and that it's in good order.

If it's wrong when it comes out the box, it shouldn't matter how long you've had it for unless it's a perishable item.

#24 ·
Hi,
I put my hand up, I should have checked earlier. I have learned from this, not to trust everything send out is in good order. I checked they were the right type and size from the box. I ordered 5 wheels, 3x 4.5" and 2x5.5". They came in pair, so 2 of the 4.5 came in a original flat 4 box which looked like it had been opened before and re-sealed very well, the 2 5.5 came in un-opened flat 4 box. the third 4.5 came in a normal brown card board box. I checked the single one in the brown cardboard box, it has a cloth cover and a rubber rim to protect it inside the box, so I had no reason to think the other 4 in a better original box would have problem. But it is still a defective wheel whether I check it early or late.

#26 ·
They seems imply I change my words/complaint from my 1st phone call to 2nd call. That makes me very annoyed
When I call them first time, I said it looked "damaged" which in layman term I meant the wheel has a problem. When I called the next day after emailing them some photos and my friends thinks it's defective, i told them so. They are trying to say I change my story

#27 ·
OK @jonnyhotdog, we don't know how the wheels were stored, after all wheel finishes do deteriorate especially high polished surfaces, so could be classed as perishable, come on!

The dealer, not the manufacturer who will have quality control, may check items but if they come sealed/boxed, and they get hundreds of boxes per week, how can they check every single item, be reasonable - that's why they say on the delivery note or invoice 'please check your items - any defects/shortfalls should be reported immediately' which is not unreasonable.

Also, this fella spent hundreds of his 'hard earned' pounds and didn't care to look or check, amazing if you ask me. Maybe the pounds weren't too hard earned if he had a careless attitude to his possessions - maybe it all comes too easily?

Why make excuses for a customer who can't be bothered to check and place the onus on the dealer entirely?

PS I run my own business retailing electrical products and serve my customers very well - but there has to be some onus on them to report anything wrong as all my products are boxed from the factory. How can I possibly check 2-300 items every month?

#46 ·
The OP definitely should have checked the wheels thoroughly much earlier IMHO , but am sure most people have bought stuff new and then stored the items away until actually required, I certainly have!
At the end of the day, a company is only as good as their customer service when something goes wrong.
Several years ago, when I was restoring my 1302 cabrio I had purchased a set of carpets from Newton Commercial, but didn't actually fit them until well over 12 months from time of purchase :(.
When I went to fit them they didn't fit, it turned out they had supplied 1302 sill area carpets and 1303 floor mats :mad:.
They supplied a set of the correct mats within 48hrs by courier, with an apology!
For that reason, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again, or to recommend them to others.
At around the same time I also ordered from VW Heritage some German OEM-quality tombstone rear light chrome trim surrounds and when they arrived I was completely underwhelmed with the overall quality/finish of them.
When I contacted them they were distinctly snotty about it and pointedly refused to take them back (they had not been fitted or anything) which didn't amuse me one bit.
I had spent thousands with them over the years, but since then think have literally only used them once or twice, when no-one else had what I needed.
The OP should stick to his guns and get VW Heritage to resolve the issue.

Also, this fella spent hundreds of his 'hard earned' pounds and didn't care to look or check, amazing if you ask me. Maybe the pounds weren't too hard earned if he had a careless attitude to his possessions - maybe it all comes too easily?

Why make excuses for a customer who can't be bothered to check and place the onus on the dealer entirely?

PS I run my own business retailing electrical products and serve my customers very well - but there has to be some onus on them to report anything wrong as all my products are boxed from the factory. How can I possibly check 2-300 items every month?
Out of interest sir, what is the name of your company?
Just so I know whom to avoid in the future? :lol:

;)

#29 ·
I'm not disputing the is a problem with the wheel, it's the attitude regarding the issue of reporting and replacement the dealer is supposed to have after such a long time.

I'm sure you, and anyone else on here, would agree Heritage would be treating this problem very differently if you had reported a defect upon receipt, rather than 10-12months down the line.

Other's on here have reported a very positive response from them when a similar circumstance has arisen.

I'm sure you still could argue your case and probably win, but to fail to accept any responsibility is wrong IMO, that's what I'm saying.

Seems these days we all know our rights but not our responsibilities.

I hope you get your replacement and learn from this.

Your car sounds interesting - is it on 'readers rides'?

#30 ·
Hi Brownbug, I appreciate your opinion. The wheels were stored in very good condition, normal indoor condition, not in the garage. And the problem wheel is in a box of 2 wheels, the other wheel in the same box has no problem. It 's not the degree of polish, it has a bevel on the rim and scratched wheels.
Not hard earned money? not so. Too trusting, definitely!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.