Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a MK3 2.0 Automatic Golf (from a Vzi member) but there is a little problem. The fuel gauge does not move, when the car is off the needle is at the bottom and when you turn the car of the needle will move all the way up to the last but one marker.

I contacted the previous owner who said this happened once before for about a week but then it kicked back into normality when he filled the tank. So I filled the tank to maximum and the needle did move all the way to the top and as I drove and used up the petrol it moved down but it has now stopped at the second last marker again.

It's really annoying as I have no idea when the MPG on this car is so I am constantly worried about running out of petrol or my wife running out of petrol when she is out with the baby.

So what could be causing this issue? And can I fix is cheaply/easily?

Stu

·
Registered
567 Posts
This has happened to my mk3 before too. Try parking your car on a gradient. If you already are, try not parking on a gradient.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm having trouble with my Mk3 golf fuel gauge, i dont think it reads correctly all the time, the tank seems to empty itself and then fill itself, so i'm gonna go investigate and my first point of call is the sender, so i suggest you have a look at yours as well.

I think the following is correct.

Beneath the driver or passenger seat at the back, life the seats up, as if you were putting your back seats down. You will see a plate with about 3 screws in. Undo these and you will discover your fuel sender for the instrument, i believe it works on the float system, it could be a part in there that has got gunked up with all the crap from a lot of petrol, be worth just having a look at it and cleaning it, see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Unless it's a five door like mine, in which case it's even easier to get at in the boot... gues what we'll all be doing at the weekend :D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eightyeightmph said:
Unless it's a five door like mine, in which case it's even easier to get at in the boot... gues what we'll all be doing at the weekend :D
It's a five door and I have had a look and there is a circle plate which is held down by three screws. If I open this what do I do then?

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Disconnect the fuel pipes,twist off the big circular ring that's around the sender,Its tight, you'll have to free it by using i large screwdriver as a chisel on one of the lugs,Then lift out the pump/sender assembly. I doubt you'll do much to fix it though. I'd just get another used one to replace it from a breakers.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Guys I think I have found the part at a local breakers. When I am removing the old one do I have to clamp off the pipes which are connected to the current sender?

stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts