Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:moon: Right!

This time im looking how wind speed relates to a load figure?!

Basically so i can calculate if the something im designing for a uni project will hold up in 40 km/h of wind!

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Theres a formula for for losses due to air resistance of a vehicle which i imagine would stand true, except the wind speed should be taken into account, not the vehicle speed.

You will need to know a Cd value though, but a flat sheet is 1.

Do some research you lazy fecker, its not that hard! Get your books out!

·
Registered
98 Posts
You talking flight principles or hurricane style forces?

If flight then look here....http://www.auf.asn.au/groundschool/index.html#weight

If hurricane style stuff then its down to the size of the exposed surface and how wind moves around it.......

To test aerodynamic resistance why not set up a hairdryer and spray in the direction of the flow some aerosol....or safer still some cigarette smoke.....that way you see how the air flows around the object...

There will be a threory of weight to wind speed which probably you will find in the properties of free fall or huricane research...

Am i on the right page? Not that i know anything about this stuff or anything.... :bandit:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
duuude!

What are books anyways?! :crazy:

But cheers.... My indecisiveness has made me completley change my design (again) fourth time since yesterday, and the hand in is next thursday, ohhhhhh feck!

:tick:

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Mate, working out the force is easy....the hard bit is figuring out if/where/how you think it will break under that load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts