Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sanding the (badly applied) primer off my Bug, and when they did the prep in some parts they keyed down to the metal, then primered over it without using etch.

Anyway, I'm left with bits like this:

So what would be best to protect it? Would laquer be sufficient? She's garaged and will only be allowed out to play in the summer once she's on the road.

*Lucy*

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
you dont have to use etch primer, unless its on aluminium or fibreglass/plastic, the idea of primer is supposed to go onto bare metal or paint to prime the surface. if your going to paint the thing then its fine just prime it for now, but if the car is going to get wet at all it needs painting to `seal` it up as primer is porus so the water absorbs through it thus causing it to rust again. Im not sure i would use laquer to seal it, on baremetal it will gradually gain rust, found this with the chrome bumpers i had which i laqured and some bare metal the rust came through from underneath, there is no substitue for paint in my opinion.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
If it's going to stay garaged and dry all winter, then I'd treat the exposed metal with POR 15 Metal Ready and leave it at that. The metal ready will leave a phosphate coating which will give a fair bit of protection, and you don't need to bother sanding it off afterwards.

If there's a chance it's going to get wet, cheap primer, cheap paint.

Dave.

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
Don't sue me if it doesn't work for you, but I'd agree with Mr Whippy. I baremetalled a semi W lid and treated it with metal ready. It then sat in a leaky shed over winter & looked as good afterwards as it did when it went in.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys - I have some metal ready so I'll give that a go :)

I thought you always had to use etch? We did a car bodywork course and they taught us to always use etch on bare metal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts