Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that maybe I should begin to accept that alongside playing rugby and working in the garage, my lad needs to learn some of the skills that other kids around him will be learning.......

I don't want him to be a Playstation generation kid who lives in his room staring at a screen (erm....... like me), but I do think that he's going to feel left out as he gets older if he doesn't do what other kids do, so I have to accept that at some point I need to consider a console

Plus I'd get to play on it :)

But, being boring and middle aged I have no idea where to start. I've had variuos PC stuff over the years, and we have a PC attached to the big TV, so should I get some controllers and games for that ?

Are consoles different or better ?

What do you recommend for younger kids (say a scarily bright 6/7 year old) ?

Anything particular to go for ? I'm thinking Wii as we've used someoen else's and it was fun, but am totally open to suggestions

Thanks

CM
(old Dad)

·
Registered
45,793 Posts
we have a wii, id say they are great for a lad of his age, also i wanted a ps3 but bought an xbox as they are cheaper, and on the whole they both use the same games:)

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Wii for family fun. There's loads of great games available.

XBox 360 (60GB HD) for quality games. It's got Halo... which is the best game ever. :cool:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
My observations for what they're worth..

wii - controllers take getting used to and require more physical movement that the other two. The games seem to be a lot more "cartoony" than the other two and the range seems pretty limited.

xbox 360 - I think this is unbeatable, unless you particularly want the whole wii controller experience. Hundreds of games of all different genres to choose from and you always find ten quid deals for the games. Graphics excellent.

PS3 - combination of the above, excellent graphics, funky controller tho the game range is more limited than the 360 but better than the wii.

There seems to be some amazing deals on the 360 around at the moment.

For major fun, get it online or play games together against each other, much better fun playing against real people.

We had mates round last night and played some wii dancing game, with a dance mat and it was ridiculous fun. I won which was funny. I was very good at it, but very camp too! Oh well it's all fun!

Good luck with your decision, but I'd steer you toward the 360 at the moment.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
The wii's also good fun for when the lad goes to bed and you have a few friends around, it can be a right laugh and very competitive :)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
We have a Wii and a 360

My g/f love's the nintendo and it's fun to use but the games are not as good as the 360 for graphics!

The 360 is mental best graphics and games on the market (bar ps3) and online gaming is mint but as always people say what they like so if you don't like your son to hear swearing watch what games he plays on line

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it was me, for a lad of his age i would get the Wii as it keeps them a bit fitter and the games seem a bit more child friendly, but the Xbox and ps3 as said before have better graphics,and you can get some kick ass games for them like GTA3 but i feel perhaps a bit to graphic for younger gamers

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe I should begin to accept that alongside playing rugby and working in the garage, my lad needs to learn some of the skills that other kids around him will be learning.......

I don't want him to be a Playstation generation kid who lives in his room staring at a screen (erm....... like me), but I do think that he's going to feel left out as he gets older if he doesn't do what other kids do, so I have to accept that at some point I need to consider a console

Plus I'd get to play on it :)

But, being boring and middle aged I have no idea where to start. I've had variuos PC stuff over the years, and we have a PC attached to the big TV, so should I get some controllers and games for that ?

Are consoles different or better ?

What do you recommend for younger kids (say a scarily bright 6/7 year old) ?

Anything particular to go for ? I'm thinking Wii as we've used someoen else's and it was fun, but am totally open to suggestions

Thanks

CM
(old Dad)
I'd ask him what he wants... there is no one console or hand held which ticks every box.

We have:

- DS (two)
- Wii
- PS2
- XBox360

Which sounds like a lot but they all tick very different boxes.

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd ask him what he wants...
He'd say the Wii as its the only one he's seen

I'm working on getting something second hand, hopefully with a few games with it, and it being mine, that he can play with sometimes rather than his

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
He'd say the Wii as its the only one he's seen

I'm working on getting something second hand, hopefully with a few games with it, and it being mine, that he can play with sometimes rather than his
PS2s are still great. Lots of cheap good games... and you can get new consoles for £100.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
TBH if you get a proper gaming console, is it going to go out of fashion quickly? by the time he is old enough to want more sophisticated games the console won't be 'the one to have'.

i have a PS2 which hasn't been plugged in for over 2 years! i guess at least with the wii he will give up when he is worn out rather than just sitting like me drying out my contact lenses not moving for hours :D i don't really know what else the wii does. i've only had a go once and they all laughed at me and my over exagerated arm movements!

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
TBH if you get a proper gaming console, is it going to go out of fashion quickly? by the time he is old enough to want more sophisticated games the console won't be 'the one to have'.

i have a PS2 which hasn't been plugged in for over 2 years! i guess at least with the wii he will give up when he is worn out rather than just sitting like me drying out my contact lenses not moving for hours :D i don't really know what else the wii does. i've only had a go once and they all laughed at me and my over exagerated arm movements!
in terms of 'fashion'... I'd say it's the Wii which is out of fashion... game makers are still making games for the PS2... the Wii is the console which gets the least use in our house... it's a nice idea but there still isn't enough coming out for it and it is limited by a lack of power... most people who have had them since the off have lost interest in them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts