Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get fit, so im looking to buy a decent (ish) bike here in the next week or so.

i used to ride mtbs from about 93-98 and i know stuff has changed a LOT.

i have a small budget of £250-300 MAX and wanted some recommendations.

Im mainly gonna be doing road riding but with some trail stuff and maybe a smidge of off road too if i fancy it... so i was thinking of a mountain bike with some road fairing tyres on maybe

been to halfooks today to have a butchers and saw a nice gt and a saracen that wasnt too offensive...

also seen some nice specialized and a kona smoke online in the sales that kinda appealed...

any recommendations?

·
Registered
619 Posts
i'd spend the money on a quality second hand bike from about 1990/98

they just seem to last longer and are a lot more reliable

for that sort of money you could get a lovely old kona which will never let you down and be loads of fun off road:)

check out http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

or type in "retro" on ebay etc in the cycles section and tick the title and description bit, find a bargain!!;):)

ive recently rescued this old kona lavadome from the tip gave it a new chain, cassette and some cables cost about £35 all in:)

as with everything these days bikes and bike parts are made with cheaper materials to keep costs down, and therefore tend to be more unreliable :(

add to this 27 gears, super narrow chains, complicated suspension arrangements and hydraulic disk brakes and its just more things to go wrong!!

cycle mechanic rant now over :D:D
if a new bikes your thing id go for a scott reflex (aspect) 50 or a specialized hardrock sport.
try and buy it from your local bike shop as you will then get the benefits of a full aftersales service and the peace of mind that it will be correctly built and set up.:)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
17,465 Posts
Im mainly gonna be doing road riding but with some trail stuff and maybe a smidge of off road too if i fancy it... so i was thinking of a mountain bike with some road fairing tyres on maybe

any recommendations?
have you thought about a cyclocross bike?

(www.cyclo-cross.com)

not new, but a good second hand one?

something like the specialized tricross or the kona jake?

:hangloose

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys!

ha! that site is the balls! a total trip down memory lane! thanks for that!

a guy in our club had a lavadome the same as yours! i love it! ahh retro thumby shifters... when shifters were shifters! you rode by feel and cadence rather than a number in a little screen.

I had a gt borrego with mag21sl ti front boing back in the day fwiw. hehe

i think this time around im gonna go with something new. although i have great memories from yesteryear im prepared to let them stay there and go with something new.

the hardrock is very nice looking indeed. ive been eyeballing that one already :) i will check the scott out now too. thanks for the tip.

I like the idea of something from a local dealer i just dont know if they will be able to match the internet deals that are going on at the moment. im gonna head down there tomorrow i think and see what they can do.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
the kona may be a tad heavy (if its the one I'm thinking about) if your bothered about weight (distance/effort/speed etc). But apart from that there good bikes.
Sounds like your after a specialized rockhopper or hardrock. Both good no-nonsense quality bikes.

Saracen are crap in my limited experience of them, the carrera range from Halfords gets some good feedback, one of my wifes is a carrera and its fine.

not sure where you are in the country, but theres Edinburgh Bicycle co-op, they do excellent quality bikes at the £2-300 mark. I have one from them I use for touring, 2000 mile on it last year and its the dogs dangly bits.

Hope thats of some use, but after saying all that......I'd probably look at 2nd hand stuff if your after good bang for your buck.
Good luck
Jas

32,416 Posts
i'd spend the money on a quality second hand bike from about 1990/98

they just seem to last longer and are a lot more reliable

for that sort of money you could get a lovely old kona which will never let you down and be loads of fun off road:)

check out http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

or type in "retro" on ebay etc in the cycles section and tick the title and description bit, find a bargain!!;):)

ive recently rescued this old kona lavadome from the tip gave it a new chain, cassette and some cables cost about £35 all in:)

as with everything these days bikes and bike parts are made with cheaper materials to keep costs down, and therefore tend to be more unreliable :(

add to this 27 gears, super narrow chains, complicated suspension arrangements and hydraulic disk brakes and its just more things to go wrong!!

cycle mechanic rant now over :D:D
if a new bikes your thing id go for a scott reflex (aspect) 50 or a specialized hardrock sport.
try and buy it from your local bike shop as you will then get the benefits of a full aftersales service and the peace of mind that it will be correctly built and set up.:)
Oh, thats nice.

I've still got a Kona Exposif from that era, and a Muni Mula as well that i brought in Vancouver. The XT driveline on those is pretty much indestructable, and apart from the Forks there is no advantage at all in a 'latest model' bike, unless you are at the level that has proper Hydraulic discs, and for £300 you aren't there. Also, a decent steel frame is the nicest ride you'll be able to buy.

Theres a lot to be said for something that was top of the range a half dozen years ago, rather than a mass produced aluminium frame built up with ho-hum 'me too' parts made to look like the real deal.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
the perfect mix of old and new........................

just wait till i get my summer cruiser finished, its a 1950s Raleigh frame, brand new Kona project 2 forks, a 1920/30s Perry rear hub laced into some brand new tubeless ust rims, riser bars, short box stem and the original lamp on the front.

thats a mix of new and old

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hi, i have a GT avalanche 1 that apart from consumables has been spot on for the last 5 years and it's still oging strong, used mostly off road!!

Got the wife a new GT recently, similar spec from wiggle.co.uk and they are going with mechanical discs for what you want to pay!!

Very light too!!

Fancy-bug:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.