Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking to get my bug resprayed as he's looking tatty. The guy that I use for all welding/bodywork will be preping the car and then sending it to a sprayer for the final prep and spray. What questions should I ask to check I get a decent job done? i.e. 2k paint? method of prep etc. etc.

Any info would be great.

btw, i was thinking savannah beige on a 1302?

cheers

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have a good look round their workshop...if its a shithole then there work will be shite (generally in my experience)

But at the end of the day the only way to tel if they are a good sprayer is to look at their work

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply.

Any specific questions i should ask...I guess I want 2k but any finishes you would recommend to keep him durable and shiny? :incheek:

·
Premium Member
15,566 Posts
Look at the hand he doesn't use for spraying, Most decent sprayers are fairly lazy and keep it in there pocket, so it should be clean. A crappy sprayer will be touching and wiping the job and his hand will be full of paint!

·
Premium Member
44,398 Posts
Depends on the quality of the job you want and the price you want to pay.

Ask your local Porsche or Lexus dealer (they have the highest standards of used car prep in the industry) where they get their paint work done.

This will yeild factory or better than factory quality, but at a cost.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't need anything flash just a decent job done. I dont want to have to respray it again next year!!! what is the difference between standards of paint job out of interest?

·
Premium Member
44,398 Posts
jugglemonkey86 said:
i don't need anything flash just a decent job done. I dont want to have to respray it again next year!!! what is the difference between standards of paint job out of interest?
95% is down to the standard of prep.

If the prep is right, you can apply paint with a paint brush, and with enough effort afterwards, flat and polish it to a show winning shine.

You could use the best painter in the world and if he is painting over a poorly prepped panel it will always look awful. Might be shiny, but still awful.

A 2k finish will last longer.

To give it a fighting chance, a good spray finish really needs to be painted in a booth, or at least a dry and dust free garage enviroment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts