Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wiring a digital rpm display into my car, (mk1 golf) I need a +ve coil feed (i.e. wire connected to +ve part of coil) going to the dash board.

My Golf is an N model, so doesnt have an rev counter fitted as standard, but Im sure the loom has the connections waiting.

It looks like there is indeed an existing wire as part of the wiring loom, going through into the dash from the coil.

Does anyone have any experience or know where i can find it? Colour?
Is it part of a multi plug?

Please someone save me hours.

Thank you all.

Ed.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
If your tacho has conventional wiring you just need a connection to a terminal that becomes live when the ignition is switched on, it doesn't necessarily have to go directly to the coil positive. Wires that do that are coloured black under the dash, or you'll probably find spare connections on the fusebox that do the same thing. Test them with a test lamp or multimeter. You will also need a wire that connects to the coil negative so you'll need to run a new wire through for that. This might help.......

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
If it's any help, the main wires that are only live when the igniiton is turned on are usually coloured yellow/black on VWs, especially watercooleds.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I will have a look for yellow/black wires, useful to know. Although I am planning on wiring a separate fused power supply.

The wire I am after is the coil -ve. I can run a new one, I just think there will be one there already on the standard wiring loom, which will be neater. I think I'll get testing then.

:hangloose ED

1 - 5 of 5 Posts