Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a little chip on one of my day mouldings wings that I'm prepping for paint.. Will normal bodyfiller do the trick, or am I going to have to use something special because of their fibreglass construction?

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
i would think it should be ok as long as the surface underneath is keyed for it to bond to and when dry the panel doesn't flex and cause cracks.

others on here will no doubt know for sure though....

about as helpful as a chocolate fire guard i am!! :incheek: :D

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^No problem, a semi-answer is better than no answer:D

Anyone know for certian?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,557 Posts
If it's only a chip out of the gelcoat, and no hairline cracks, then normal filler should be fine, but make sure it's prepped as above first. If in doubt scour the inside of the chip with a dremel or similar.

The alternative to filler is to mix a little fibreglass resin (polyester resin) and hardner, let it set in the hole and then sand it level.

Dave.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I have the answer now, on my readers rides thread!!

Apparently filler and fibreglass are both polyester based, so no problemo:D

:hangloose

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr.Whippy said:
If it's only a chip out of the gelcoat, and no hairline cracks, then normal filler should be fine, but make sure it's prepped as above first. If in doubt scour the inside of the chip with a dremel or similar.

The alternative to filler is to mix a little fibreglass resin (polyester resin) and hardner, let it set in the hole and then sand it level.

Dave.
Didn't see that post before I put up my last one, didn't want to seem ungretfull:D

Cheers, it is indeed just a tiny chip, I'll get on the case, ta:hangloose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts