Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weve got a racing pigeon in the back garden it just turned up about a fortnight ago and looks quite happy, its having a munch of the bird seed that we put out for any feathered friends who are passing. Ive managed to get its number GB06 x 15472 but the royal pigeon club only want to pass on details of birds that have been contained, tbh im not keen on grabbing hold of it even though it seems friendly enough, also at the moment it has its freedom and would returning it to its owner be condeming it to a life of captivity again.
any sugestions?

·
Registered
939 Posts
if you wanna catch him, shake a tin of pidgeon corn (available at pet shops) & whistle in a clanger type fashion.............my dad used to keep racing pidgeons & thats what most are trained to come too.

BTW Most racers are prized pets, fed on good food, regularly exercised & usually paired up to mate with the pick of the females!!!

Not exactly a life of imprisonment & most would be eaten by larger predators (fox's etc) pretty quickly if left to live outside cos they were bred in captivity & havent got a clue in the outside world! :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to race pigeons, if you did captured it, and phoned the ring number through to the royal pigeon racing society, the owner must arrange to get it picked up. else he will get banned from racing.
and impy is right, they are very well looked after and champion racers have made well over £100,000.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
personaly id like him to remain free and do as he wishes but if he doesnt stand a chance then maybe i should catch him,
would he be ok in a big rabbit hutch as oddly enough i dont have a pigeon loft?

·
Registered
939 Posts
they travel for races in big hampers with air holes so a rabbit hutch would be fine (but not for too long).
If you gotta garden shed thats fox proof (& u dont mind poop about) pop him in there! :hangloose

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
If I had a pet that went missing I'd want to know where it was. You might even get a personal thankyou from the owner...maybe a reward you never know. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts