Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bug very randomly needed a bump one night around four or five weeks ago, after I killed the ignition for a couple of minutes following a half-hour drive. Has been fine since until thisafternoon, she's just needed another push after a day sat out in the rain. Can I put this down to the shitty weather or is the battery or something else possibly on the way out?

Im sure the answer is simple, it doesnt mean I know it though :incheek:

Cheers :hangloose

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Could be the battery's getting old, ould be the alternator/dynamo thats not at it;s peak.. could be other stuff too i guess! How old is the battery? :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Depends - does it try and turn over? Does it make a click noise when you turn the ignition? Does it do nothing (apart from smirk back at you evilly....)

If it turns over at all, then its either the battery on the way out, or the starter motor itself. If it doesn't start again, try with a fresh battery (if you have one spare) or with jump leads on the battery - if it still doesn't go, then the starter is on the way out.

If it just clicks, its either a duff battery, poor contact at the starter motor feed, a knackered solenoid or a knackered starter...

If it doesn't do anything - are the warning lights on on the dash? If not, you've got loose connecitons either in the fuse box, or in the ignition barrel. If they do, its back to the options listed above.....

Took me about 6 months to finally sort my bug out when it started doing this - but then the fusebox and the ignition barrel both had dodgy connections, and the starter motor was on its way out too.....

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the click and the light on the dash, there's definately some form of life.

I think to be honest the battery is knocking on, its been in the car as long as Ive had her (comin up three years) and it has been up to one of these drive in tyre & battery places before when it was playing up, the guy stuck his fancy tools on it for a couple of minutes, said it needed charging but it was then fine for weeks afterwards.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
sounds like the battery terminals could do with taking off and cleaning, damp weather would cause a dodgy connection to fail.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh - might want to check the earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis too. I had a *cough metro that refused to start due to a slowly disintegrating earth strap...

·
Registered
87 Posts
sounds like a worn starter bush,the bush is fitted in the bellhousing, starter fits into the bush & keeps starter windings level so starter works.
when bush wears the end of the starter drops in the "groove" & will not work, you never know when the starter will drop into the "groove" therefore the problem is random,
had same problem on beetle in early 70's took me 3 months & a lot of pushing before I sorted problem

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Check the cheap/easy things first.....

Battery - Obviously you've eliminated this
Starter - Stick it in third, handbrake off and rock the car. Put it back to neutral and try and start.
Stater solenoid - Turn ignition to the on position and twat solenoid with a hammer
Ignition switch - You can test by hotwiring, I can PM you a diagram if none of the above work.

(had this problem recently, it was a dodgy connection on the starter and a knackered ignition switch!)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone (and the diagram Scottie, appreciated), looking more and more like the starter has called it quits though :(

Can anybody tell me how easy this is to replace? I was supposed to be p/x-ing the car this weekend, typical! And now need to get this sorted asap.

Thanks again guys :hangloose

1 - 11 of 11 Posts