Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I applied for a graphic designer job for a small company who seem to be doing really well. To be honest I sent my CV off and knew that my skills don't completely match what they were looking for. Then I got a phone call yesterday and was offered an interview! Great I thought, even though they know I'm not the best flash developer, my CV still stood out.

I got to the interview on time and looking smart. I spent all last night trying to learn more flash and researching the company. Even though she was lovely, I spent over 30 minutes talking to the director about her wealth. How she drove an Aston Martin and how her son was at university and she was paying his way for everything... for 7 years (PHD). I thought she was really nice and we had a really friendly chat but the problem was that she seemingly hadn't read much of my CV. She didn't ask me any questions about my design, the main thing she was interested in was the fact that I'm into VW's :rolleyes:, which she jokingly took the mick out of. She also told me a lot about the company, which was interesting. She also told me the maximum salary, £15k rising to £18k after 3 months and a rather nice £24k maximum, which is high for the actual work that I would be doing.

I left the room feeling like I had had a personality test rather than an interview about what I could do. Then I had to go for a 'test' where I was given an advert to design. The director had spent most of her time telling me she wanted simplicity and not really anything all that creative. SO I decided to do something simple. Then nerves got the better of me and I fluffed it, forgetting how to do piss easy things and one of the other designers made a comment about my time and asked me to wrap it up. I ended up leaving feeling like I'd thrown a really good opportunity away.

Thing was though, the two graphic designers I'd be working under were such nice guys. They seemed like they'd be very supportive and really the kind of people I'd work well with.

I can't stop thinking about it, and even though I've lost hope of landing it, I really would like the job. Just gotta sit and wait for the dreadful phone call now. Sniffle. :(:(:(

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
I thought I'd mucked up an interview once, still got the job though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If the Director likes you, then you'll be onto a good one!!! Shes the one with the final say?!?!
I had an interview once & the woman made it really difficult to make any conversation or answer her questions.
Don't fret - theres not much you can do to change whats happened, if they call and say you havent gotten the job, maybe say if things dont work out with the candidate they have chose to keep you in mind or ny other positions that come available... this has worked in my favour before.... long story!!!!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support all. To be honest I think the actual decision will come down to the head designer, and if they're interviewing others, I can't see my sad effort standing out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The being asked to wrap it up before you had finished must not feel good, you just have to pick yourself up and keep trying!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The being asked to wrap it up before you had finished must not feel good, you just have to pick yourself up and keep trying!
Nah it didn't, although he did say he didn't finish his ad during his interview. The only positive thing he did say that it was more of a demonstration that I could use the software, which I think I did do, but could have done it with some style!

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Don't worry too much mate ;) When I left art college back in *cough* years ago I had the same thing. I had 2 interviews in a day, the first one went really well but I didn't really get on with the director. I knew about him from a mate that worked there so I wasn't too bothered. The second I completely fluffed and was soooooo annoyed as I really liked the company and it had chances of travel too. I got a phone call the next day saying I'd got the job :D It turned out that my portfolio was so impressive :eek: I was there for 16 years. Only leaving to start my own business in Cornwall, now bac in Notts most the time though :rolleyes:

Good luck mate, keep us posted :)

OP

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry too much mate ;) When I left art college back in *cough* years ago I had the same thing. I had 2 interviews in a day, the first one went really well but I didn't really get on with the director. I knew about him from a mate that worked there so I wasn't too bothered. The second I completely fluffed and was soooooo annoyed as I really liked the company and it had chances of travel too. I got a phone call the next day saying I'd got the job :D It turned out that my portfolio was so impressive :eek: I was there for 16 years. Only leaving to start my own business in Cornwall, now bac in Notts most the time though :rolleyes:

Good luck mate, keep us posted :)

OP
That was what annoyed me though, my portfolio didnt even come into it!

And thanks Brian, means allot after me givin Liverpool so much flack lately! Hehe!

And yer lol at the tag, she looked like his bird, but in her 50s! lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you buy into that 'Karma' stuff . . . you might want to *think* before you laugh at someone else's misfortune, next time then ;)

:)
lol i know what u mean, but that was me returning karma, as i get allot of stick from my liverpool supporting mates! Plus i dont see mr gerrard as having misfortune at all, hes a very profitable man, who has done very well for himself. It just appears that he allegedly got himself into trouble. thus karma not coming into it....

....thats my excuse and im stickin to it!:lol:

·
Administrator
166,681 Posts
lol i know what u mean, but that was me returning karma, as i get allot of stick from my liverpool supporting mates! Plus i dont see mr gerrard as having misfortune at all, hes a very profitable man, who has done very well for himself. It just appears that he allegedly got himself into trouble. thus karma not coming into it....

....thats my excuse and im stickin to it!:lol:
Oh . . . OK then . . . I'm SURE you'll get this new gig then ;)

You'll be fine :)

Honest :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts