Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
17,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomb Raider (2018) - 0/10 Very terrible!

Passengers - 7.2/10 Could be better but quite good.

Arrival (2016) - 7.8/10 Slow and moody but interesting. :)

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,988 Posts
Just about to watch Saving Private Ryan .................. epic opening sequence and ill score it 10/10 before I've even got beyond the old boy walking through the cemetery.

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
Just about to watch Saving Private Ryan .................. epic opening sequence and ill score it 10/10 before I've even got beyond the old boy walking through the cemetery.
One of the best opening scenes in a film ever in my opinion

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
One of the best opening scenes in a film ever in my opinion
TV programme recently about war films, discussed by critics and presented by 'the pub landlord' Al Murray, and Dan Snow, both acknowledged historians - unanimously agreed that it was the best, most realistic film of its genre ever made - so your opinions are not alone, but underpinned by established experts.

I had a surprise yesterday while watching 'Arnhem, a Bridge too far' - (the documentary not the film) on Amazon.
My daughter's, boyfriend's grandfather suddenly appeared on screen - explaining how he and his mates had held on to the bridge until they run out of ammunition, then were forced to surrender.
I had heard he had been at Arnhem, but had no idea he had worked on a documentary about it.

Life is full of surprises :lol:

I give the film, and the documentary, both 9:10

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I watched a lot of kids films over Xmas.

Big hero 6 - I’d always avoided it on the playlist but exhausted everything else so shoved it on. 9/10. Very good!

Coco - this is a very good film actually, pretty deep and a lot thankfully went over my young’ns Heads. 9/10

But it was Xmas, so die hard... 10/10... national lampoons Xmas vacation 10/10... gremlins 10/10. :)

·
Registered
21,391 Posts
MEG. 0/10 Just don't. Wife made me watch it.

ANNIHILATION 6/10 (that's good for me cos I'm dead stingy with my scores). Thought the end was lame and predicable and all seemed a little unlikely. However film was quite good imho, the bear was freaky cool as!

MR NOBODY 7/10 Really liked this one and a real thought provoker after watched it.

RALPH BREAKS INTERNET 1/10 I actually like the original. This is gash. The original was a advertising whore, this has taken it to another leveL and just ruins it for me. That plus the story was much less likable.

GUARDIANS OF GALAXY 1 AND 2
6/10 I'm not usually into this kind of film but have to say though was light hearted. Didn't take itself seriously and overall enjoyable fun.

AVENGERS INFINITY WAR. 5/10 Don't really like the MCU stuff anymore but have to say this one was mildly enjoyable. Have to say I was routing for the bad guy tho Lol

·
Administrator
166,588 Posts
Hi guys, the 'old' thread hit 5,000 replies so I've archived it - once threads get to around 5k they can mess with the database here.

So, New Year, new thread.

:)

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I really liked First Man, 9/10.
The first landing on the moon was a very early childhood memory. My Mum and her Sisters watching the moon landing on television whilst on holiday in Millport. They ran out of 50 pence's for the electricity scrambling about the house trying to find another:D

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
3,319 Posts
TV programme recently about war films, discussed by critics and presented by 'the pub landlord' Al Murray, and Dan Snow, both acknowledged historians - unanimously agreed that it was the best, most realistic film of its genre ever made - so your opinions are not alone, but underpinned by established experts.

I had a surprise yesterday while watching 'Arnhem, a Bridge too far' - (the documentary not the film) on Amazon.
My daughter's, boyfriend's grandfather suddenly appeared on screen - explaining how he and his mates had held on to the bridge until they run out of ammunition, then were forced to surrender.
I had heard he had been at Arnhem, but had no idea he had worked on a documentary about it.

Life is full of surprises :lol:

I give the film, and the documentary, both 9:10
My Grandads (he would have been 100 today) cousin Frank was a para trooper on a bridge too far. I know this as 20 odd years ago as a boy we were doing some work at his house, it was summer and in the way the old boys did he had his vest on. I noticed a huge scar on his arm from top to bottom and quizzed him on what had happened, he told me the long story of him having to jump and how neither he nor 'them' had any ammunition just bayonets and how he had encountered the enemy, his words were 'it was him or me'. Never actually said he killed him and definitely wasn't being boastful, just given a young boy the story from a question he'd asked.

We honestly have no idea of how good we have it nowadays even with the world of horrors going on around us compared to what they then as young boys went through.

Anyway, back to the films:)

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
My Grandads (he would have been 100 today) cousin Frank was a para trooper on a bridge too far. I know this as 20 odd years ago as a boy we were doing some work at his house, it was summer and in the way the old boys did he had his vest on. I noticed a huge scar on his arm from top to bottom and quizzed him on what had happened, he told me the long story of him having to jump and how neither he nor 'them' had any ammunition just bayonets and how he had encountered the enemy, his words were 'it was him or me'. Never actually said he killed him and definitely wasn't being boastful, just given a young boy the story from a question he'd asked.

We honestly have no idea of how good we have it nowadays even with the world of horrors going on around us compared to what they then as young boys went through.

Anyway, back to the films:)
Couldn't agree more.

I really like how these films, portraying actual events - eventually throw up real people that we actually know.

A film I saw recently - 'the lost honour of Christopher Jeffries' was a true story about a murder victim's landlord. (jo Yeates, Bristol, 2010)
He was wrongly accused of the crime, mostly because he was a bit different in the way he conducted himself.

Interesting study of how these travesties unfold - 8:10

·
I really must get out more
6,159 Posts
Birdbox 6/10

the new Sandra Bullock Netflix film, I found it dissapointing. The concept wasn't strong enough, IMO, and couldn't carry the film to the very obvious (poor) ending.

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
Birdbox 6/10

the new Sandra Bullock Netflix film, I found it dissapointing. The concept wasn't strong enough, IMO, and couldn't carry the film to the very obvious (poor) ending.
Totally agree - except I'd only give it 4:10

Zombie film where infection is spread with light instead of by a virus - hardly a quantum leap in story telling.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,988 Posts
...........................A film I saw recently - 'the lost honour of Christopher Jeffries' was a true story about a murder victim's landlord. (jo Yeates, Bristol, 2010)
He was wrongly accused of the crime, mostly because he was a bit different in the way he conducted himself.

Interesting study of how these travesties unfold - 8:10
I saw this a while ago and thought it was an excellent film and a solid 8/10. The guys 'guilt' seemed to have largely been decided on him appearing to be a bit 'strange' and not much else. I i do not mean that in a derogatory way to Mr Jeffries, just that the media seemed to latch onto him being perceived as a little 'different' and that was enough for them to effectively take the guys life apart.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,769 Posts
I saw a documentary on iplayer the other night - Bros - After the Screaming Stops. Surprisingly it's a hilarious 9/10! :lol:
I hated Bros back then and I still hate the music but this is just so, so funny. It's absolutely like The Office crossed with Spinal Tap.
You'd swear the dialogue must have been scripted but it's all too real. Stuff like "Me and Matt are like rectangles - and together we make a square, and that square becomes a fortress". It could've come straight from David Brent. Or my favourite - "I made a conscious decision when I was young because of Stevie Wonder, never to be superstitious"... Honestly just watch it. It's great.

·
Registered
17,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I saw a documentary on iplayer the other night - Bros - After the Screaming Stops. Surprisingly it's a hilarious 9/10! :lol:
I hated Bros back then and I still hate the music but this is just so, so funny. It's absolutely like The Office crossed with Spinal Tap.
You'd swear the dialogue must have been scripted but it's all too real. Stuff like "Me and Matt are like rectangles - and together we make a square, and that square becomes a fortress". It could've come straight from David Brent. Or my favourite - "I made a conscious decision when I was young because of Stevie Wonder, never to be superstitious"... Honestly just watch it. It's great.
I've heard about this from a few people now, it does sound hilarious! :lol: :crazy:

·
VZ Staff
24,088 Posts
Ready Player One - 8/10. Very enjoyable. Plenty of nods to '80s pop culture. Being a Stephen King fan, I especially enjoyed the Overlook Hotel sequence :cool:

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
Just got back from the Movies - I saw 'Wildlife'

Jake Galentahl, and Kerry Mulligan in a low budget exploration of relationships in small town 60's US.

Very well acted - mostly by the boy that played their Son Joe.

8:10

1 - 20 of 416 Posts