Volkszone Forum banner

381 - 400 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Alita Battle Angel - again with the kids. Cant remember if reviewed before but don't worry I won't again!

The Night Comes For You/Us (I forget) - Subtitled but there really isn't much plot or reading necessary. First 15 your thinking....hmmm not a great deal happening buy curiosity is sparked. But then it becomes the most visually gorey modern martial arts film I think I've ever seen, it's just endlessly bloody and endlessly improbable :lol:

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Directed by Clint Eastwood, based on the true story of Chris Kyle - American Sniper - A Navy S.E.A.L. sniper saves countless soldiers' lives in Iraq and becomes a legend. Back home with his family after numerous tours of duty, he finds that he can't the war leave behind.

Solid 7.5/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
The Accountant

One of the best screenplays I've seen - Ben Affleck as an autistic savant accountant - with some 'bad' clients.

Really worth a watch - 8.5/10 from me.

:)

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Two more Ben Affleck films - purely by coincidence . . .

The first (which I believe he also directed) - Live by Night is about the Boston 'mob' setting up 'business' in Florida during the Prohibition era. Given the subject matter, this could have been so good - sadly is wasn't.

5/10

The second film The Town (the name is derived from Charlestown, Boston) is a great 'heist' movie with great characters. It was nice to see (Scouser) Pete Postlethwaite make a cameo appearance too.

8/10 from me. :)

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Tenet - I really like a few of Christopher Nolans films, Inception being possibly my favorite closely followed by Interstellar. They have the filmography and sounstacks, the cast and the story....but both have a niggle. No matter how many times I watch Inception I think the sleep layers are wrong, go in further than they come out. Maybe it's me. And I find the end of Interstellar bit of a cop out which is a real shame.
The problem with Tenet is it all seems like niggle and cop out. Your supposed to have to watch it multiple tines to fully understand, but I dont want to! Too little happened in too much time and when the going got good it wasn't quite right. No matter inverted or not the driving scenes make no sense, the final army scene it's comical fighting an invisible enemy and running round in the open like your bullet proof.....which they seem to be. How do these 2 guys do all these things and know all these things? Maybe it's just magic. Oh and the ending is obvious. It's a NOPE/10 for me sorry.

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Takers

Another heist movie . . . bank robbers have their plans interrupted by a tough detective.

With a cast that includes: Chris Brown, Matt Dillon and Idris Elba, this should have been better.

6/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Four Brothers starring Mark Wahlberg . . . When their adoptive mother is shot and killed in a shop robbery, the four 'brothers' investigate the murder for themselves.

5.8/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Polar . . . clever twist on a 'hitman' plot and an interesting role by Matt Lucas.

A due-to-retire assassin finds himself on the receiving end of a 'contract' by none other than his own employer seeking to save on paying him his sizeable pension. Quite violent and darkly funny in places.

8/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Going In Style starring: Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Alan Arkin, Ann-Margret, Matt Dillon, Christopher Lloyd, John Ortiz, Peter Serafinowicz and Rich Moriarty amongst others . . .

A decent comedy yarn, with a feelgood factor. Struggling to pay their bills, three lifelong friends risk it all by planning to rob the very bank that caused their money problems.

7/10

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The Accountant

One of the best screenplays I've seen - Ben Affleck as an autistic savant accountant - with some 'bad' clients.

Really worth a watch - 8.5/10 from me.

Thanks for the recommendation Bri. Watched it last night. I never knew he could do that kind of acting and his performance was top drawer as was the plot. Well worthy of a watch.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Bri. Watched it last night. I never knew he could do that kind of acting and his performance was top drawer as was the plot. Well worthy of a watch.
I think it was an ok film, seen it a couple of times so cant be that bad :lol: tho wouldn't get anywhere near an 8.5 for me.
I think because Ben Aflick is so emotionless and wooden he does this role pretty well. :p

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
The Dark Tower

Good versus evil, with a twist on the 'devil/prince of darkness is rising to take over the world' story.

Matthew McConaughey as 'the devil' and Idris Elba as a mystical gunslinger from a parallel world, helped by a psychic kid from New York - decent fantasy yarn - but could have been better.

6/10

·
VZ Staff
24,088 Posts
The Dark Tower

Good versus evil, with a twist on the 'devil/prince of darkness is rising to take over the world' story.

Matthew McConaughey as 'the devil' and Idris Elba as a mystical gunslinger from a parallel world, helped by a psychic kid from New York - decent fantasy yarn - but could have been better.

6/10
Being a big fan of Stephen King, this had so much potential...and they fucked it up completely. They veered so far away from the source material that it made a nonsense of it. In saying that, I'd give it 6/10 too. I saw it on the big screen when it came out.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,730 Posts
Whoa... never seen this either. 😯

Snatch fans... make yourself a brew and sit down for 10 minutes.

Ewen Bremner is an absolute gent. I worked on Blackhawk Down and he was hands-down the most genuine bloke you'd ever want to meet.

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Outside the Wire

Set in the near future, a drone pilot who messed up, is sent to the 'front line' of a warzone and finds himself paired with a top-secret android officer on a mission to stop a nuclear attack.

Decent acting, but a poor, clichéd script, meant a decent idea, ended up being a disappointing movie. :(

4.8/10

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,730 Posts
Outside the Wire

Set in the near future, a drone pilot who messed up, is sent to the 'front line' of a warzone and finds himself paired with a top-secret android officer on a mission to stop a nuclear attack.

Decent acting, but a poor, clichéd script, meant a decent idea, ended up being a disappointing movie. :(

4.8/10
I'd agree with that.

That's interesting Glen - what work did you do on 'Blackhawk Down, mate?

I worked for one of the companies that provided the "Facilities"; the mobile base unit kit. There was a small team of us that looked after the all the artists trailers, the generators, toilets, mobile workshops, etc. I was responsible for the wardrobe truck and the three "minor artists" accommodation trailers (amongst other things). Ewen was one of them, along with a certain Tom Hardy that seems to have done ok for himself in the intervening couple of decades. :D

It was six months of incredible hard graft, and a real eye-opener for me about the world of film, and what it is like to live in a country/culture like Morocco.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Been revisiting a few old favourites recently:
Grosse point blank
High fidelity
The fly (cronenberg’s version)
Man on fire
L A Confidential
All, in my opinion, fantastic in their own way

381 - 400 of 416 Posts