166,597 Posts
Been revisiting a few old favourites recently:
Grosse point blank
High fidelity
The fly (cronenberg's version)
Man on fire
L A Confidential
All, in my opinion, fantastic in their own way
Not a 'classic' as such, but I revisited an old Nicolas Cage film, Next . . . Cage plays a Las Vegas magician who can see into the future and is wanted by a FBI agent (Julianne Moore) wanting to use his abilities to prevent a nuclear terrorist attack.

Decent film, nice idea . . . and a cameo appearance from Peter Falk/Columbo :) 7/10

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
King of Thieves 10

The cast were bloody brilliant and the script and someone the dialect was absolutely bang on. why not a straight 10.

Cant single any 1 performance out. Ok, sod it, I can... this dude Sir here! bloody awesome.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Not a 'classic' as such, but I revisited an old Nicolas Cage film, Next . . . Cage plays a Las Vegas magician who can see into the future and is wanted by a FBI agent (Julianne Moore) wanting to use his abilities to prevent a nuclear terrorist attack.

Decent film, nice idea . . . and a cameo appearance from Peter Falk/Columbo :) 7/10
Agree it's entertaining but man it's so cheesy!!
If you like Cage and B movie craziness check out Mandy. It's horrific, ultimately B movie ridiculous but I think it's done so well!

The same guy has just done Black Rainbow and Colour Out Of Space....the latter has Cage as lead, both look equally nuts and have been waiting for a propper chilled night in to watch them. :)

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If you like Cage and B movie craziness check out Mandy. It's horrific, ultimately B movie ridiculous but I think it's done so well!

The same guy has just done Black Rainbow and Colour Out Of Space....the latter has Cage as lead, both look equally nuts and have been waiting for a propper chilled night in to watch them. :)
Mandy is mental. I adored it. Cage is just absolutely batshit mental !!
Colour out of space is also well worth a watch for some weird lovecraftian horror

The Endless is also worth a watch along with extinction on Netflix

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts

I've not seen any of those.

I'll try and check them out.

Thanks for the heads up Al. :)

·
Registered
21,394 Posts
Jason and the golden fleece.

Oh yeah blast from the past. It's was just how I remember it weirdly (except the ankle juice was more runny), but even the kids sat and watched it so that's a thumbs up from me.

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
Extinction

A man has a recurring dream about losing his family. His nightmare turns into reality when the planet is invaded.

A budget 'alien invasion' film with a great screenplay and a fantastic twist.

With a bigger budget, this could have been great - still worth a viewing.

6/10

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The men who stare at goats. A cracking ensemble cast in a beautifully amusing tale. An hour and a half very well spent watching this 8/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
TOWER HEIST - a decent enough comedy, starring Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy, Casey Affleck, Alan Alda and Matthew Broderick amongst others.

6/10

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Watched Blackklansman the other night, had thought that it was based on a true story, but not sure. Comedy about serious issues, really enjoyed it, solid 8/10. Even had a lovely red bug in it (y)

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
TAG.
A light hearted comedy based on a true story.
A group of kids thet grew up and carried on playing tag/it for 40+ years.
Worth a watch 8/10

·
VZ Staff
24,088 Posts
The Dictator - typical Sasha Baron Cohen fair. I enjoyed it but I'm sure it's not for everyone 7/10

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
THE EQUALIZER 2 - Denzel Washington gets to play the American version of Edward Woodward again. :)

Not as fast-paced as the first film, but still worth watching. Denzel doesn't tend to make bad films.

7/10

·
VZ Staff
24,088 Posts
THE EQUALIZER 2 - Denzel Washington gets to play the American version of Edward Woodward again. :)

Not as fast-paced as the first film, but still worth watching. Denzel doesn't tend to make bad films.

7/10
I saw this was starting on TV as we were sitting down to watch a family film. We ended up watching Semi Pro on Netflix or Disney+
It's a typical Will Ferrell film and he plays a typical Will Ferrell character. 'Salright. 6/10.

·
Administrator
166,597 Posts
MONEYBALL

I found this very interesting as it was the the precursor to Liverpool's owners (FSG) using 'data' to find/sign/unearth 'bargain' players. They did it with Boston Red Sox first and then LFC.

Based on real events, Oakland A's general manager's success at assembling a baseball team on a very lean budget by using computer-generated analysis to acquire new players.

7.5/10

401 - 416 of 416 Posts