Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my trekker on the road, and im using a merged header with a turbo style muffler/exhaust....

all is fine with the loooks, its still buffed to a mirror finish... lol

but the fooker is LOUD and i mean really loud, way louder than a chaved up corsa, dont get me wrong, im 25 i like em loud, but this is tajign the piss...it passed the mot fine on monday, proberbly cos they never drove it off idle... but once it goes above 2k rpm... its almost deafening. more or less like driving with a stinger. also, when you knock on it it feels hollow, and rings like a bell, rather than a thud like it has any silencing material, muffler wool, in it....

now im pritty sure its a turbothomas muffler, as its a pressed box with no visible joins, seams or welds, other than where the 2.5" (or what ever it is!) pipe goes in and out, unlie the speedshop style ones with the welds at either end.

my plan is to re pack the muffler with the correct exhaust 'wool' but i just curoius to see if anyone else has done it?

im a welder fabricatior by trade, but im un sure how to re-pack a sealed exhaust, my first plan was to,

cut it in half, re pack both halfs then tig weld it back up, possibly covering the join with a 1" exhaust srtap all the way the muffler,

or

cut one end off, hopefully pull out the baffle tube (pipe that runs thu the muffler with the holes in) then re pack from that small hole...

anyone ever done this??

its ALLOT cheaper than buying a new muffler, as the packing stuf can be bought off motorcyle shops and ebay for aroun £5....

and i can tig it up in my spare time at work for nada....

anyone attempted this?

ive tried ringing turbothomas, but no answer... ill keep trying, i was just interested if anyone else had to do it?

cheers
alex

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
I did the same with a stainless exhaust for my 38 Citroen.

The original gauze holding the sound deadening wool in place had corroded through and the exhaust then spat all the original sound wool out in a big cloud :lol:

I cut the end off the box and lined it with soundproofing wool which was held in place by a tube made of fine stainless mesh, as used to make high quality fly screens. It was cut to be a snug fit and then welded the end back on. Worked perfectly for years. :)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
20,711 Posts
I would cut the casing around 1" back from one end as well as releasing the main pipe and then pack the can. The casing can then be joggle jointed and welded together.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I do race boxes, which dont last 5 mins, and have an ever decreasing d.b permit, by cutting a 'window' in them and make a panel to suit , rivnut it to the box as you like. quick and easy repack any time required.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do race boxes, which dont last 5 mins, and have an ever decreasing d.b permit, by cutting a 'window' in them and make a panel to suit , rivnut it to the box as you like. quick and easy repack any time required.
thats not a bad idea, as i could cut a pannel out of the underside of the exhaust, joggle all the way around, then cut and roll up a stainless panel to fit....

few stainless rivets and jobs a good one!!!

that way if its too loaud still, i can put in more, and do it agian if needed!!!

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts