Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dez and I joined CAMRA last week :D

For the 2 of us (joint membership for a year for nder 26 yr olds) it was a bargain at £13!!

We got this back in only 2 days:

We went to the ipswich beer festival 2 nights running (£2 entry each but CAMRA members get in for FREE! :D )

Good Beer Guide only £10, £5 off the cover value for members :D

They're trying to get up to 100k members by the end of this year, they're at 80k at the moment.

This is what you get:

Exclusive members newspaper ñ ëWhatís Brewingí
A monthly colour newspaper informing you of beer and pub news and detailing events and beer festivals from around the country.

Free / Discounted entry to over 150 beer festivals
Free or discounted admission to the 150 + beer festival that CAMRA organise, including the Great British Beer Festival.

Branch Social Activities
CAMRA is organised into 200 branches that cover the UK. Each branch runs a variety of socials events for their members.

Active Campaigning
Have the chance to campaign to save pubs and breweries under threat of closure, for the right to receive a Full Pint and a reduction in beer duty that will help Britainís brewing industry survive.

Book Discounts
CAMRA produce a variety of books every year and as a member you are entitled to discounts on all of the books we produce including CAMRAís best-selling, annual Good Beer Guide.

Additional Promotions

CAMRA are always looking to improve the benefits that our members receive.

And the sheffield beer festival is starting tomorrow!!! :D

http://www.camra.org.uk/

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
DarrenW said:
No free beard or MGB then?
:lol:

I'm still convinced that drinking real ale makes you ugly. I can only base this on my findings at the local CAMRA real ale festival recently.

Not the hidden refuge of the beautiful people, thats fo' sho'

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided to join as I've grown out of larger, it's too gassy and well, crap really. I must admit, I used not to like ale but as I've got older I'm appreciating it more and more. I'm fed up of gong into a pub that sells stella, john smiths, strongbow, fosters and guinnes, I think we need more variety. And by promoting real ale, you're helping local brewerys :D and British beer!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
prophet said:
You'd be surprised dude, we're really not all beards and MG's, let alone tweed jackets with elbow patches!
I wasn't surprised at all.

It was like the MG owners club, most of my old public school teachers and a load of beardy farmers had all formed a club in a treehouse at the top of the ugly tree. The treehouse fell.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kafer_meister said:
I wasn't surprised at all.

It was like the MG owners club, most of my old public school teachers and a load of beardy farmers had all formed a club in a treehouse at the top of the ugly tree. The treehouse fell.
I think that's just a lack of alcoholic education, all the 'beautyful' people that read cosmo and FHM drink piat do'r and stella :lol:

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Missbugbabe said:
Well I decided to join as I've grown out of larger, it's too gassy and well, crap really. I must admit, I used not to like ale but as I've got older I'm appreciating it more and more. I'm fed up of gong into a pub that sells stella, john smiths, strongbow, fosters and guinnes, I think we need more variety. And by promoting real ale, you're helping local brewerys :D and British beer!
You just need to start going to better pubs ;)

Round here we have loads of pubs selling excellent lager.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
not in CAMRa but do enjoy real ale. My local independent off-licence has a huge selection of ales from around the country.

It will soon be Winter Ale time :D

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DarrenW said:
:lol:

I've never liked Stella, it's horrible stuff... I'm currently going through an Old Speckled Hen phase. Again. :)
For me it's Old purculiar, Bombadier, abbot and Hobgoblin and I hope at least one of those is spelt properly!

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kafer_meister said:
You just need to start going to better pubs ;)

Round here we have loads of pubs selling excellent lager.
I do like some larger, loughenbrough (sp??) is very nice, and I like heineken too, and Corona (with lime ;) ) when its hot, but Becs, Carling, Fosters, Castlemain, Stella, Carling, Carling export, samag....??? etc etc are a bit poo

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Missbugbabe said:
I think that's just a lack of alcoholic education, all the 'beautyful' people that read cosmo and FHM drink piat do'r and stella :lol:
Haha,

You'd not find me anywhere near a bottle of Piat d'or, or a pint of stella.

I've been drinking ale since I was a very young lad, my dad is a big fan of it. I like it, I just prefer other things.

I'm not getting sucked into this fashionable 'we're real ale enthusiasts' bollocks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts