Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a quite clued up to most things computery but this ones got me and several other people stumped.

I have a laptop that I have had from new. Its 3 years old. Well about a yeatr ago I snapped the thin charger cable coming out of the brick in a reclining chair mechanism. I replaced the charger with one of them generic ones and thats when the problems started. After having that charger for a few months it started to become very loose inside the socket to a point where it seamed to be moving around losing connection and dimming the screen.

So when I snapped that charger. (Recliner again) I replaced it with a standard OEM one from Acer for my laptop. And now about 8 months later its doing it again, it stopped when I replaced the charger but started about a month ago. Has anyone had this problem before because Im skint and cant afford a new charger or laptop.

Any ideas are much welcomed thank you. Btw. The charger head gets so hot it burnt me the other night if that means anything.

Its an Acer TravelMate 2303, i cant run it on battery for more than 5 minutes either because the battery is dead now.

Thanks

G

·
Acers seem to have a bad time with sockets. The headphone socket on one of mine has sheared away from the motherboard and only plays music every now and again when the socket is in the correct position. I don't really use it for sound so haven't bothered stripping it down to repair.

The problem you're having with your mains socket is probably one of:

1. The physical DC socket has become loose on the motherboard and so only makes a connection now and again. It may even be shorting out.

2. The DC socket pin may have been pushed in by a badly fitting copy PSU connector.

Whatever the fault is, if your OEM charger doesn't work properly, then unless that's faulty (unlikely) I would say you've managed to damage the DC socket on the actual laptop.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you may be able to do the repair yourself, I would suggest however that they use multi-layer circuit boards and you could cause more damage if you try this yourself.

·
Registered
12,492 Posts
could possibly be the actual connector on the motherboard has broken/come loose, and proabably needs to be resoldered or replaced...

might be worthwhile just replacing the laptop, but depening on how attached to the laptop you are....

hope that helps...

Jack

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
This happened on my last laptop (which was an Acer) and as others have said it's the connector to the motherboard has come away.

I used to just take the power connector in the laptop but this only lasted a few months. Luckily in my last job one of the guys knew how to solder and sorted it for me, a local PC shop might be able to sort it for you but they would probably charge about £40/£50. Open it up yourself and take a look you will be able to see the connections to the motherboard and if they are broken.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea im goin in school/work tomorrow so im gonna pop it open there and see whats what

thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts