Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question on rear brakes on a 1302. when the brake pedal is pushed both the rear pistons work but dont go back in, they are both new so they are working.
My question is, is there a return valve in the master cylinder connected to the brake pedal that is stopping the fluid from releasing the brakes or is it just the master cylinder needs replacing. if i bress the brake they come on but to release them you have to release the bleed nipple. please help (i hope this makes sense )

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Yes, there is a valve/port in the M/C to allow fluid return.
If the pushrod doesn't have a small amount of free play,
the port won't open to allow return.

Exact same thing can happen if the rear brake hoses are old
and clogged due to rubber deterioration and internal swelling.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
The most likely cause is that your rear flexy brake hoses have collapsed internally. You could check that by releasing the connection on the rear brake hose to the pipe on the master cylinder side of the hose. If you still have locked brakes when you do that then the hose is blocked. Think about it.
The next most likely cause is that you have no clearance on the brake pedal pushrod that runs from the pedal into the end of the master cylinder. That pushrod should have 1mm of freeplay on it before it makes contact with the piston inside the master cylinder, so measure the clearance and adjust it if needed, either by resetting the pedals so they're in their correct vertical position or by altering the length of the pushrod.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the reply, thats sounds like this could be my problem. To adjust the free play is that by moving the plate that holds the pedal in place because I have moved these when I replaced the floor pans.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speedy Jim said:
Yes, there is a valve/port in the M/C to allow fluid return.
If the pushrod doesn't have a small amount of free play,
the port won't open to allow return.

Exact same thing can happen if the rear brake hoses are old
and clogged due to rubber deterioration and internal swelling.
The problem was the rubber flexy hose had collapsed and the problem is sorted now Thanks Speedy Jim & Moby. The car is now finished and tested for 12 months, I would also like to thank everyone who has helped me with all the dumb ass questions i have asked while ive been restoring this 1302 A big thanks to you all. My sons eyes were beaming when i gave him the keys.(now he has to pass his test)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts