Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I found a Sparkrite Sx2000 on Ebay and thought I'd fit it to my Beetle when I've got the engine ready (anything which can prelong the points can only be a good thing - also don't really want to replace the points with electronic ignitiion).

Anyway the Spartrite SX2000 I bought rattled when it arrived so I've taken the cover off and found parts of the transformer (the external graphite bit of the transformer) and a free regulatror (I cannot see where it's come from as I cannot see any legs of the regulator on the PCB).

Has anyone rebuilt one of these before?

There are a few small issues:

1) The black aluminum heatsink needs repainting.

2) Coil holding bracket rusty, nothing major - needs sanding, acid etching and painting.

3) The casing is a bit cracked (some parts of the plastic are broken but nothing major and super glue seems to work). I'm thinking of dying some Araldite with red food dye to correct some of the missing smaller bits or failing that Araldite and spray the casing red.

4) The transformer and regulator issue (I really need to drill some rivets to get to the PCB though to take a closer look).

Mike

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Sparkrites work well (they are electronic ignition, btw, just a different kind), and can be repaired, apart from...the transformer, unfortunately. Not going to be easy to find replacement bits. Can't recall if they have a ferrite core, but I wouldn't bet on finding parts easily. If ferrite, Farnell or RS would be the best places.

The "regulator" is likely one of the transistors that, with the tranny, form the inverter that pumps the voltage up. Any spare holes around the heatsink area? Or it may be the thyristor thst dumps voltage to the coil - have a look in the area of the big 400V capacitor.

They work well, if you can find another - had one on my van for a couple of years. As they're capacitive discharge, they deliver an almighty voltage to your plugs, but will find any weaknesses in your leads or dissy cap.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the closest Ferrite Core Half I can find is on Farnell but closest one I've found doesn't match the core diameter; too big (it should be 9.8mm rather than 11.2mm) -

www.farnell.com/datasheets/48537.pdf.

RS don't seem to stock them. I have a feeling I'm going to need to phone Farnell as I cannot find a matching datasheet.

I really cannot see where the regulator has come from. cannot see any broken legs on the PCB.

Also cannot see a 400v cap either but mine is a Sparkrite SX2000 mk2 (might be a difference between the mark mk1 and mk2??). I can see two 25v 220uf ones though.

I like the idea of staying kind of stock (well looking kind of stock at least). I like points but dislike having to set them.

Mike

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Hmm. Mebbe mine was an earlier one...definately cap discharge, with the big cap. Thinking about it, the transformer may have been a small metal core job.

I'd still take a look around the area close to the heatsink - are both transistors still there, bolted to the sink, as I recall.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep, I've got two regulators bolted to the heatsink (well, aluminium block) and thermal pasted to the external rivetted (base/back) aluminium heatsink.

The thing that gets me is why did Sparkrite feel the need to plasti-coat the back (heatsink) of the Sparkrite. As I believe plastic is an insulator :)

I've seen other Sparkrite SX2000 which have a slightly different label for sale on Ebay, the thing is I don't know what the differences are between mine and thoose. Mine has mk2 clearly printed on it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Yep, I've got two regulators bolted to the heatsink (well, aluminium block) and thermal pasted to the external rivetted (base/back) aluminium heatsink.

The thing that gets me is why did Sparkrite feel the need to plasti-coat the back (heatsink) of the Sparkrite. As I believe plastic is an insulator :)

I've seen other Sparkrite SX2000 which have a slightly different label for sale on Ebay, the thing is I don't know what the differences are between mine and thoose. Mine has mk2 clearly printed on it.

Mike
I'd just buy a known working one - the quick test is do they whistle when connected to a supply (you can hear the internal inverter running). They do make a nice period accessory and work well. I had one for a few years. Give bags of HT, but as above will quickly knacker your coil and leads if they're not up to scratch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have managed to get the Circuits for this unit if anyone wants them send me you email address in a private message .do not add email address here as i may never see them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts