Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the fuel cap off my 67.

Maybe its just me but its not one I have ever seen before ( I think!!)

The history of the car suggests its all original. My other 2 67's had the one with the large VW logo embossed into it. This only has a small VW log.

Any idea?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Has it got what looks like an extension tower screwed to the top of the tank filler neck?

Martin.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I got a NOS one of these from Nomad John in Boston for my 67 and his stuff is mostly sweedie stuff.

The underside is a gas release sprung gasket if memory serves me right, heavy too!

·
Registered
774 Posts
it's a fuel cap with a built in breather (shake it an you will hear stuff moving). This type of cap has a built in breather and lets eberspacher heaters suck the fuel out of the tank without causing a vacuum in the tank. They were fitted to all vehicles with eberspachers (got one on my notch) and seeing as most swedish stuff seems to have eberspachers fitted, thats why you see these caps lots on scandinavian stuff.
They're not particularly rare or anything, as eberspachers were pretty widely fitted in the 60's and 70's.

If you try running an eberspacher for an extended period of time with a standard cap on the petrol tank, if you try to open the cap after a while, you can hear the vacuum being released.

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
1,930 Posts
55OvalCharlie said:
Horty! - on the ball as always! where have you been hiding not heard from you in ages!
hiya Charlie

been a bit busy recently - strangly enough as I posted that reply I was thinking of you :hug:

I remembered you telling me about the petrol cap on your Notch ;)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
55OvalCharlie said:
it's a fuel cap with a built in breather (shake it an you will hear stuff moving). This type of cap has a built in breather and lets eberspacher heaters suck the fuel out of the tank without causing a vacuum in the tank. They were fitted to all vehicles with eberspachers (got one on my notch) and seeing as most swedish stuff seems to have eberspachers fitted, thats why you see these caps lots on scandinavian stuff.
They're not particularly rare or anything, as eberspachers were pretty widely fitted in the 60's and 70's.

If you try running an eberspacher for an extended period of time with a standard cap on the petrol tank, if you try to open the cap after a while, you can hear the vacuum being released.
Well its a UK car so maybe I have a eberspacher....? Where would it be and what does it look like? The lady I bought it off said the heating was brillinat!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts