Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - never welded before - want to learn. Any advice on:

a) A beginners welder - got a machine mart near me - any good uns in there?

b) Where to start - just try and learn myself or go on a course?

Thanks folks

Rich ;)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i have a clarke 135turbo. despite what some will say it is more than adequate for what most need it for. if i was using it daily for my living i would spend a lot more cash on one. it takes a bit of time/ practise to get it set right ,be carefull on how much tension you load the wire with to eliminate snagging.. and buy a large gas bottle and 5kg wire wheel to allow lots of practice. i get my bottles of Jawell paints. oh and a decent regulator for the bottle. no doubt some will disagree. but it works for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with the above. I've got a SIP 150 Turbo, some say they're crap but it works for me and I can produce machine grade welds. At the end of it all, it's in the prep. If the prep is good then the weld should be too.

Good luck
Regards, si

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
I've had a SIP 130 turbo and now have the Clarke 151. I'd recomend the Clarke any day.

Ditto with the big pub size gas bottle... Makes a big diference, and a lot cheaper in the long run too.

Dave.

·
Registered
979 Posts
One that works is good.......

Ive got a Sealey 160 Turbomig, more power is generally easier to control. It's all about practice, practice and more practice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
sip 150 topmig, had it 6 years and its my first welder... ooh the fun we've had!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
i have a clarke 105, i have had it for 10yrs. It is now broke. i borrowed the professional one from my garage and couldn't believe how easier it was to use. So i say get the best you can afford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts