Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a right old 'oh shit'

I'm running chevy pattern on my '60 project, gear box is in, all built with T3 backing plates and gubbins sealed up etc, i was gonna get the 4bolt T3 drums i have redrilled but there's a hole clash...

In the shared hole, do you think a threaded insert would cut the mustard? I could therefore get the rest drilled.

As you cant get blank t3 drums (from m7 anyway), would i be better off redoing it with beetle stuff where you can get chevy drilled drums? In the words of Paula Abdul one step forward and two steps back!

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
either use adapters

or

get a taper plug made up with the wheel bolt sized thread on it and screw it and and flush it off. redrill the stud pattern and use studs instead of bolts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
probably the most expensive but the best/cleanest way imho...

'cos type 3 rear drums are "hub" based...

buy some chevy pattern rear drums from M7... take them, and a type 3 rear hub, to your local machine shop... and have them machine the new drums down to match the hub... should be in the £25 region i would have thought.. you now have chevy pattern hubs...you can get the machine shop to put in the 2 locating screw threads or you can do it yourself...

thats how i get round the problem of having to find expensive type 3 hubs for the 914 rear disc conversion.. machine down a set of 4 lug drums.. works real good...

good luck with it...

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
use wide 5 t3 rear drums?

without looking at the book i cant remember if they are the same size as later 4 stud units dimensionally or if they are the same as beetle ones.

but then take to your machine shop and jobs a gooden :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks chaps, very helpful.

Although its the easiest way, I'm a little concerned about danny's method as the drums have the raised bosses on the backside (not sure if this is just with repro drums), might the new holes be a bit thin with not much metal for the bolt? or require something behind them to beef them up? The bug has a pokey 1955, close ration box etc and will be used in anger!

buggsy, i thought of that but with the due to the crazy shape the hub, there is nowhere you can the 120 PCD to have a flat surface.

qwan, good idea :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts